Help with LR addition.

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by gmccntryboy, Feb 27, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Sound like a lot of helpfull info.

I would do as suggested above. Buy as much as you want. Keep it in a rubbermaid tub with a heater, Powerhead, air stone. I would actually add some bioload at this time. Like a small amount of fish food. Then let is sit for a week. Start measureing the Ammonia and Nitrite. Once both are zero you can add the whole lot to your tank.
    The reason for the fish food is it will simulate the fish in your tank and allow the rock to build up more denitrifying bacteria.

Even the most expensive cured live rock may have a small cycle once brought home from the LFS. So it's always best to be 100% certain it will not cycle again. a seperate container is always good.

Jason

2. Click Here!

3. Zissou

Zissou Fire Shrimp

hey bud if you are buying in bulk check out liveaquaria. i got 45lbs of their fiji premium and the caralline and critters on it are awesome. as someone else said make sure to smell it. this is the easiest freshness test. also a light scrub does not hurt to make sure dead stuff is not introduced to the tank. i also agree with the community in adding a say 10 to 15 lbs at a time. good luck send pics ;D

4. gmccntryboy

gmccntryboy Astrea Snail

FYI I purchased 25lbs. of LR today online and will cure it as suggested and add half when done cycling, and other half 2 to 3 weeks later thanks for the help everyone.