Help with leak!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Bucsfan, Sep 28, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bucsfan

Bucsfan Flamingo Tongue

i just noticed a small leak in the top left hand corner of the tank. I have some Loctite clear silicone adhesive sealant. Knowing that there may be problems with poisoning the critters in the tank with some sealants, I note that instructions on the tube talks about "aquarium building and repair" so unless I'm told otherwise, I assume that I'm good there.

Again, I assume I will have to lower the level of the water in the tank, let the area dry and then apply the sealant on the inside of the tank and let it cure (instructions say 48 hours) before bringing the level in the tank back up to the normal level? This problem is new to me, so I need some guidance and help please!

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Sounds about right- never dunnit though.

Other guru's will chime in I"m sure.

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Sounds about right- never dunnit though.

Other guru's will chime in I"m sure.

Good luck, hope it works out.

5. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I am by far not a guru on tank resealing, however i just did one with good results. The first thing i learned was that new silicone does not stick well to old silicone and therefore the "reccomended" way to fix a tank is to drain it, dry it, remove all the old silicone and re do the entire tank. If the leak is near the top, it may be worth it to just try to patch the immediate area and see what happens. I used GE #1 clear silicone with good results. The reccomended dry time is 48 hrs. I let mine cure for 7+ days before leak testing it. Others have used RTV 108 which may be stronger. Please post your results, particularly if you decide to go with the patch.

6. Bucsfan

Bucsfan Flamingo Tongue

Will do. Thanks for the info.