Help with first Coral

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by reef713, Aug 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

With that lighting you definitely need to feed it. There is no way it can get enough food from Zooxanthellae with that lighting. With intense lighting, often times you don't have to spot feed. But with damaged or injured corals I always feed and with your lights, you need to feed to have any hope.

That Marineland light is really a fowlr light. It's nice because the lights are so weak that you don't fuel algae growth much, but it's not powerful enough even for corals that aren't as light dependent.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Try smaller particle stuff. Rotifers if possible, you can usually get them at you LFS frozen. You can cut the bottom off a 2 liter and then place it over the coral and drop the food down the top so that it saturates the coral.

2 people like this.
  4. reef713

reef713 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thank you guys if this works out I owe you guys a beer (or beverage of your choice). It looked pretty rough this morning. I now have it under two 50/50 T8 bulbs (hoping that will help until I can get a better T5 lighting system). I also have started to feed it phytoplankton. I have direct fed it but I have no idea what the feeder tentacles look like. Should I leave the lights on at night as well until it starts to get better and what are the signs that it is recovering?

[​IMG]

5. mightyrae

mightyrae Spaghetti Worm

I am sorry to say...In my experience I believe that one to be a goner. How did you acclimate your coral? Ive heard this debated many times on why or how to acclimate but Ive always drip acclimated my things. 3 drips per second is my SOP. Also I drip them for about 2-3 hours if I can.

A number of factors could have contributed to why this has happened to you so the only thing you can do is find a formula for acclimating that works for you.

I dont believe this to be a lighting issue more than acclimation or general health of the piece before you bought it. Others have mentioned that the fixture is not good. I believe they are correct as well. Corals that depend on light for overall health are going to need good lighting. Check the lighting section for details on what is a good fixture and what is not.

Another factor is your salinty measuring device. Are you using a calibrated refractometer or a pendulum type of device? Your salinity might be off which may lead to inaccurate readings for other parameters.

1 person likes this.
  6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Marineland LED light bright is not intended for reef systems.

This particular coral is probably lost.

My suggestion is to research the lighting forum intensely. Upgrade your lighting fixture, prior to purchase of any further corals.

There is also tons of information regarding feeding LPS, and their different lighting needs on this forum.

I would also ask for a refund from the LFS that sold you the lighting and the coral and advised you on the care of and lighting needs of that coral. They were clearly wrong and even if they decline to give a refund hopefully they will become enlightened.

7. reef713

That is not great to hear. I was told I could just throw it in the tank after the temperature was acclimated. However, I slowly added my water to the bag for a period of two hours after the temperature was right. I will have to look into getting a refractometer, this is the first time I heard that the post hydrometers were a bad thing.

8. Click Here!

9. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Marineland makes horrible LED lights :(
    I would upgrade them if you want to keep corals...

1 person likes this.
  10. reef713

Thanks guys. I'm in the process of looking at the below lighting system. I will still try and save this coral, but it does not sound promising.

Aquarium Light 48" 324W T5 HO Hood LCD that has six (6) T5 bulbs, (three (3) 54W T5 HO fluorescent bulbs and three (3) 54W T5 HO actinic blue bulbs)

11. ScorpD

ScorpD Astrea Snail

That set up sounds much better.

Please take a word of advice from a person that has made some truly horrible mistakes; Find a better LFS, read the forums here and ask questions, don't get discouraged, and most of all, enjoy.

1 person likes this.
  12. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Man a lfs told you to only temp acclimate and dump the guy in?? I do not drip acclimate my corals only fish, but still slwoly add tank water to their bag as they float like you did and have not had any issues but then again I only purchase easier to care for corals. My Xenia did good under a 50/50 stock T8 light fixture but after I upgraded to T5HO its growth accelerated tremedously.

As for feeding there is a forum here about feeding corals with great info as mentioned, phytoplankton does not really feed corals directly most of the time but it feeds the zooplankton and allows their population to grow which in turn feeds corals. There are a million foods in a bottle out there from seachems fuel, reef snow, etc etc and then there are also the brine and mysis shrimp, oyster eggs, etc. I believe RODs foods has a little of everything in it, I have never used it but plan on purchasing some next week for a local supplier to try.