Help with feeding Lawnmower Blenny

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by juliew, Jan 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

If you weren't so far away, I would tell you to dump him in my tank. I have a ton of GHA that LB love to eat. I had one in my tank before and he got rid of all my algae and had no food left, so I gave him back to my LFS for credit towards a powerhead. I second what Otty said too. Don't risk your tank's health over one fish. My new maroon wouldn't eat for a week after I let him out of the hamster ball. I dropped the pellets in the water as I normally did, if he ate, he ate, if he didn't then he didn't. He went over a week without eating until yesterday. If I kept dropping food in hopes of him grabbing a pellet, my nitrates would be through the roof and my entire tank would suffer. He may have been ill when you bought him too, to consider every possibility.

2. Click Here!

3. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

could also be calupra and that sucks once it starts growing.

4. tronb24

tronb24 Coral Banded Shrimp

Yikes! I just got a algae blenny yesterday. My tank is only 4.5 months old and I have a small amount of GHA growing on two decent sized live rock chunks. I just assumed that I could supplement his diet with some of those dried seaweed or algae disc I've seen in the store. I guess I guessed wrong.

Not to get to off topic, but what do you feed this fish while it's in a QT? I was going to get some algae rounds today and hope for the best?

5. rummy34

rummy34 Astrea Snail

Julie, We have a lawnmower blenny. I buy algae strips and a clip to hold it at most pet stores. It may take a few days but he will start eating it. Hope this helps you out...;)
    Donna

6. tronb24

tronb24 Coral Banded Shrimp

Are you buying algae strips or seaweed? I'm trying to figure out if there's a difference. I have seaweed and my lawnmower will nothing to do with it.

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Good luck. I've had two of them that were eating and still died. Couldn't figure it out. One of my favorite fish.

8. Click Here!

9. generic_411

generic_411 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

So everyone may think that i am crazy...but my lawnmower loves bloodworms. He has actually stollen some from my emerald crab and has bitten my fingers to get at fresh worms that i placed in the tank. I don't know that it is something that will work for others...my little guy may just be odd...

But i would try it. Mine loves them and he still loves to eat algae and stays healthy..and a little mean..but that's just him.

10. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

My little lawnmower died last night. He was skinny and obviously didn't eat that much the last week. I'm not sure why it happened but he's gone now. He was a cute little bugger too. :(

11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I had a LM blenny die of starvation too. Definitely one fish that shouldn't be sold on the open market (IMO of course). Too many of them perish.

12. JBL

JBL Sea Dragon

Mine is a fatty! eat off the back glass, what is on the rocks, I keep a head of broccoil hanging in there he nips at also. He is now eating the flake food I feed the other fish. He can't get enough of it! Maybe try some flakes?