Help with established tank! Pics included!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Rou, Mar 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Sound advice.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Rou

Rou Plankton

Flow..ok nice one shall have to look into that.. perhaps aim the lower pump head down to the sand..and I've already got it in a corner away from the light but the rooms light goes in..should I cover up the tank?

Thanks again people..

4. oceanreefs

oceanreefs Plankton

Red slime

Hello, today Thursday I'm fighting the same problem I finally got red slime removal today in the mail it is by ultra life reef products. my problem was not as bad as yours but it was still a problem the red slime was taking over everything this morning I received a package in the mail and medicated my tank immediately this was at 8:30 AM tonight it is around 8 :00 PM the tank looks 100% better will maybe not100 But maybe 85 percent but it's getting there, I was hesitant to use this medication but it seems to work. You should ask a few more people for their advice and see what they suggest good luck. Phil

5. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

It's just a temporary solution.

6. Rou

Rou Plankton

Hiya all sorry for the late reply i know i said i would post pics on sunday but i had a really good reason..TOOTH ACHE! as any of you who have had a tooth infection before could state..i was in no state to stand forget post pics lol..

Indeed chemicals can clear it up i agree..but as stated and i would have to agree you have to get to the root of the problem...same goes for my tooth ache come to think about it! ;o)

here are the results of 3 days of darkness on the tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as you can see there was a great improvement however those pics are of Sunday..literally by Tuesday the slime was back in strength..my tank is in a corner away from the sunlight..only gets the light from the room..should i shorten the amount of light im giving the tank? at the moment its 9hrs...

also im working on getting a skimmer any suggestions for the river and reef 94ltr would not go astray ..ive had a few but any advice welcome..

7. Rou

Rou Plankton

Ive seen this one..

Kent Marine Nano Skimmer - Complete Aquatics

[​IMG]

its a decent price..but that scares me a bit into thinking it might not do a great job? i prefer quality over price really..and something easy to run and change..

again any advice welcome.

8. Click Here!

9. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

You most likely have Compact Florescent lighting. You said they are they are original bulbs, so 2 years old. CF lights are only good for 9 months tops even if there t5's your only looking at 11 to 12 months tops. You bulb spectrum has gone and you will continue to get algae. Changing the bulbs is a must. Then do all the other things people have suggested. You should start to see a major improvement. When lights get old the spectrum shifts to spectrum algae loves.

10. Rou

Rou Plankton

I see...ive changed the daylight bulb recently so the (sorry for the noob term) blue light would be the light that they are getting a problem with you think? bulbs are so damn expensive..i was forced to get a daylight bulb after the last one blew..almost £19!

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

The best skimmer for a nano is Tunze DOC 9002 my opinion, but then again I am also the one suggesting you need to add some additional flow to the display. :confused:::)

12. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Im not sure how much the antic is hurting you. How old is the daylight? Its the one I would be more concerned with but you'll want to change out the antic to, as it well help your corals grow. And yes you need more flow too. :)