Urgent Help with ammonia & nitrate levels

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by bloodbringer3, Apr 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bloodbringer3

bloodbringer3 Plankton

no in the ten i only had the clowns and my coral, what coral i had then, my fished stayed in my 40 wasn't worried about them. then i moved and put everything in a 30 yes. and i know i had that way over crowed, this is why i started the 75 gallon. but i started the 75 with 100lbs of sugar sand 75 pounds of live rock, and two damsels. two weeks i put the other two damsels in. about a month after that i put the rest in, the coral. starfish and cleaner shrimp. the clowns and the tang. two weeks after that i got the fire fish gobie and the rock blenny. everything was doing fine till just the other day. im guessing that the snails is what did it. dumb mistake on my part but for some reason i like them a lot.thanks again for the help

2. Click Here!

3. bloodbringer3

bloodbringer3 Plankton

now that i do the math i sold 200 of them so i only have about 500 but that is still way to many. oh yea i also added two emerald crabs last month sometime.guess i fig that with the amount coralline algae i was getting in the tank, that the tank was doing good.

4. ricoop

ricoop Skunk Shrimp

The tank may have cycled after you first set it up, but you have to remember that you are going to a significantly larger volume. Did you add more LR when you upgraded? Also, did you reuse sand or buy new?

Also like they said above, bioballs can become a nitrate nightmare. You may consider scrapping those and using some live rock rubble and macro algae in their place.

You also may consider cutting back how often you feed mysis. Every other day may be leaving to much excess in the tank to break down into ammonia etc...

I run a skimmer and fuge with LR and Chaeto, feed pellets daily and mysis 1-2 times per week and my nitrates are steadily in the 5-10ppm range.

5. kwinter1

kwinter1 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

The snails could be dying off and causing the problem. So, I would get rid of half of the snails. You honestly don't need that many. Also, checkmark that could be the solution but maybe not. I would take out half your bioballs and atleast clean them.(not all because they have some beneficial effect and you'll shock ur system) Work your way over a couple weeks to get rid of them. The are big collectors of everything gross (waste, food) I would look into a skimmer (don't think you said you had one) they don't all cost an arm and a leg(some do) I didnt go name brand route and I am happy.)) Maybe bioballs aren't the issue either. Another thing Look into making a fuge. I like when people use the little pet carriers in the sump, cheap and small. maybe feed half as much but feed again, same amount of food, but the fish have more time to eat it. What I am going for here is a diverse approach of complimenting solutions. It's Just like being sick, doctor gives you a couple different meds because he's not sure what the problem is, and your tanks "sick" I hope you give it the best treatment you can.