Help with Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by multiham, Oct 1, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. multiham

multiham Plankton

Sounds like I hit the trifecta of great algae (NOT!)

I have a couple of questions

If I remove all the rock, and add new cured live rock (I can get it local), won't I get a cycle which will kill my Cardinal and Blenny?

I bought my live rock from an extremely reputable on-line store. It is cured Manado Live Rock. I let my tank cycle for 6 weeks at which time the parameters were perfect. At this time I added the cuc. Waited another week and added the Cardinal. Waited close to a month and added the Algae Blenny.

I change my water every week (4 gallons) and use distilled water. I run my led's for 6 hours a day. Is there anything that I have done that would cause this outbreak or did I just have bad luck? I don't want to have the same thing happen again.

Thanks!

Steve

2. Click Here!

3. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

WOW you hit the jack pot on nuisance algae! since its all your rock the black out will be your best bet since you don't have any corals you have nothing to worry about. to remove all your rock is not a good idea. i don't think i would chance that. i worry you will lose your fish if you do that.
    if you do decide to add new rock be sure to get live bacteria, add it when you add the rock and dose it weekly for a few weeks.

4. multiham

multiham Plankton

What is the correct way to do a black out? I'm assuming i leave the heater and powerhead on since i have fish.

Thanks!

Steve

5. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

all stays running as it always does except the lights.

you just turn the lights off for several days. i have heard some cover the tank. i have never personally had to do a blackout, so hopefully someone will chime in that has done it.

6. multiham

multiham Plankton

Have a chance to pick-up a Tunze 9002 skimmer. Will that help my algae problem? Still going to try the black out.

Thanks!

Steve

7. happaman

happaman Plankton

absolutely. You need a good skimmer or algae turf scrubber and even then I'd still run GFO. No way water changes alone with deal with the nutrients and a black out is problematic IMO. It doesn't deal with the issue which is nitrates and phosphates. Siphon the cyano--it is one of the most efficient phosphate users around--get it out each day and it will be lowering your phosphates.