Help with Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by multiham, Oct 1, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

You can get dried rock, or cured live rock locally. Otherwise, put the new live rock in a bucket filled with salt water, a heater and a powerhead to move water for about 6 weeks. Then it would be considered cured and reef safe

2. Click Here!

3. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

It wont hurt anything yet, until it overgrows your tank in the next week, then grows over your corals, goes sexual, creates a huge nutrient problem which will cause more algae and kill some corals.
    I would replace the live rock. You might get a tiny cycle but by replacing it with dry rock it will help keep params stable.
    How old is your tank?
    Do you have more rock?

4. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

do you have a sump? you can put the rock in the sump. this way its still in your water and you don't lose the bacterial function of it. than get a new rock for your display tank.

5. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Nope, he doesn't
    Multiham:
    You could get the refugium from Intank and put the algae in there ;)

6. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

7. multiham

multiham Plankton

Sorry for such basic questions, but I am new at this:

At this time, I do not have any coral.
    Total contents of the tank are the live rock (4 or 5 large pieces)
    1 Bangaii Cardinal fish
    1 Algae Blenny
    Numerous Cerites, Neriths
    Started cycling tank on July 1st
    No additional sump, skimmer, or anything beyond Intank Media Basket running filter floss, Chemi-Pro, and Purigen
    My current process is to make weekly water changes using distilled water mixed with Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. Make 4 gallons in a Home Depot bucket. Use refractometer to measure salinity and use powerhead to mix and heater to bring to proper temp. Wait 1 day before using this water

The piece of live rock in question is big (for a nano tank). I can not take it out and put it anywhere other that a bucket with my saltwater. Also, the algae in question is on almost all of my rock. Taking this out, will leave me with almost no live rock.

I currently have the Intank Media Basket in the center slot in the JBJ AIO. Is the Intank Refugium different than the Media Basket?

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks!

Steve

8. Click Here!

9. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

I would do a couple of things;

1. Black out. With no corals, your fish will be fine. Turn the lights off completely for 3 days

2. Get a skimmer, there are way to many proteins in your tank somehow

3. Think about setting up a sump. with an Eshopps HOB overflow it is easily done. This would be a great place to put your skimmer and many other items. Makes the tank look much more clean

10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

is it only on one rock? if so remove it. put it in a bucket of old tank water with no lights. the algae will die off with no light. than you can use the rock with out total die off.
    your bio load is small. you can get away with removing it.
    also if you by another rock to replace it right away, buy some live bacteria. it will help keep you from going into any mini cycle.
    bacter7 by bright well works, smart start, and special blend by microbe-lift. all three i have used and work.

do you have pictures of your whole tank so i can see how big this rock is? removing it is the best way if you can dealing with this algae is not fun

11. multiham

multiham Plankton

Unfortunately, it is more than 1 rock. It is basically all my rock.

Really appreciate all the help!

Here are the best pictures of my full tank

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

WHOA! Thats cyano, caulerpa and GHA!
    I'd recommend removing the rock, blacking out for a few days to kill any remaining stuff, then starting with new rock. The fish you have are hardy and should survive the small cycle this might cause.
    Also, I would either get a refugium from inTank or a TUNZE Nano Skimmer