Help sizing my return pump

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by CHOX, Mar 7, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CHOX

CHOX Plankton

Hey guys, this is the run down...
    27 gallon cube
    Eshopps PF300 overflow box (300 GPH, 1" bulkhead)
    Eshopps RS-75 sump (10 gallons)
    No protein skimmer right now

I've heard a lot of differing opinions about what size return I should have. This is my first sump and I really don't want to cause a flood. Wondering how many GPH I need to aim for.

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

Sicce 3 - with a valve so you can adjust it. Quiet, dependable and a decent price.

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I always go bigger and use a valve. All my tanks including my wife's all have oversized pumps with valves. If your overflow us rated for 300 max then get a pump that's rated for 500 gph and valve it. Don't forget to include head height when choosing a pump. I made that mistake once.

5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I shoot for about 5x my display tanks volume after headloss providing my sump is large enough to take that velocity without carrying microbubbles back to the display. So find a pump in the 250-300 GPH range at 4-5' head and as the others have said, add a ball valve on the discharge side of the pump to fine tune the flow. Your issue though may be the small sump, you will be doing 15-20 or more turnovers per hour through the sump so baffle placement will be important to trap microbubbles. Don't go too big since you will be paying for the inefficiency in power bills 24/7/365 and the additional heat it generates and the physical room it takes up in your sump. Your return section will have to be plenty big to contain the pump and enough water so you don't have to top off multiple times a day until you get an ATO system.

zesty likes this.
  6. CHOX

CHOX Plankton

Thanks, guys.

I bought a bigger pump but tried one that was in the 380 range, and that one worked perfect without any fine tuning.

7. louy99

louy99 Feather Duster

gate valve is best for fine tuning if you have to in the future