help setting up sump/refugium

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Billme, May 10, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Thanks for the input Mr Bill. Here are my revised plans for the sump. I Raised the level of the sump to increase the volume. I also want to have a greater amount of flow to the skimmer side. I'm shooting for about 1/3 going to the refuge. I'm not familiar with plumbing, but would raising the refuge level necessarily cause more flow to the skimmer side? I'm also going to add valves to each side of the "t" (it's a single dorso overflow with a "t" in the sump chamber) in case I need to adjust one way or the other.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Looking good. :)

The return section is a break between the fuge and skimmer chamber, so assuming your ATO is set correctly, no, the depth of one would not affect the level of the other. Also, you only want a valve on the fuge side of your drain. Trying to regulate flow on both sides could end very badly.

4. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I would only restrict one side at a time, if necessary. I just wanted to have the valve on both sides to control what % of water each side gets. I'm wanting about 1/3 to 1/4 of the dt flow to go to refugium. Who knows, I may get lucky and get about the right proportion the first shot and not even have to use valves. Does it seem like the skimmer side would get increased flow due to the fuge water height being higher? Not sure on this point as I've never dealt with plumbing.

thanks for getting back on this.

5. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

Adjusting things to be quiet may be easier with a beananimal setup since you want 2 drains, though I haven't done anything else. But the pipe that isn't siphoning is only like a fourth of the flow of the main drain, if that.

6. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I looked into the bean animal but the tank has only two holes. One for drain and one for return. So I'll be going with first. The two in's from dt are following a "t" from a single drain.

7. Mr. Bill

What you want to do is regulate how much flow goes into the fuge and allow the rest into the skimmer compartment unrestricted. The level of water in one compartment will have no influence on flow to either side as both are below the main tank where the siphon begins. :)

8. Click Here!

9. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

That makes sense Mr Bill. Thanks.

10. Mr. Bill

You're quite welcome. :)