Help programming doser for BRS 2 part

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Ducncover, Apr 5, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ducncover

Ducncover Skunk Shrimp

Just hooked up my bubble magus dosing pump and I'm going to be using BRS 2 part. I was able to find directions on here as far as programming/priming pump/timer and what not but couldn't find anything about quantities of what to add to use as a reference point. I know all systems are different but wasn't sure where to start. Total water volume is approx 65 gallons. I started alk and ca both at 100ml per day and mag at 10ml per day. Tank is mostly lps, 4-5 small sps frags and a 5" crocea. I'm going to be testing all 3 daily to check progress and try to tweak it to I get to where I'm happy.... My goal is to shoot for 10 alk 450 ca and 1400 mag once I get it dialed in. Any feedback is appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. Ducncover

Ducncover Skunk Shrimp

4. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I can give you a comparison on what works for me. I have about 40 gallons total, about the same with the Clam and hard corals. I've been dosing 4 ml Ca and 16 ml alk/ day with BRS 2 part. I add 5 ml Mg/week with water changes. This formula worked for about a month to keep Ca at 420+/- and alk at about 10. Recently Ca dropped to as low as 350 (past few days). I've increased Ca to 10ml/day and kept alk the same. Ca climbed back to the high 300's. Also there is a calculator on BRS to raise levels up and their estimate as to a starting point for dosing.

5. tinnghe

tinnghe Purple Spiny Lobster

What i would do is doing some testing and see how much ur ca and alk drop in a week. I would then decide how much to dose. I have a good amount of corals and inly add 50 ml.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Bingo. That helped me too.
    For another reference on my 26 gallon I have found that 24 mL/day for both is great for me most of the time. Currently though my calcium runs a bit high at 500 so I am cutting that one back a bit. My alk tested out today at 3.8 meq/L. I won't touch that. (I try to keep magnesium at 1400 - currently under 1350. Dosing just 1 mL/day through my Bubble Magus.)

That makes me think your 100 mL/day for a 65 is a bit high.
    I'd be curious to know.

matt