Help please ;)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Tanks' started by tara, Mar 4, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Duh...in the FW section.::)
    You are in good hands.;D

2. Click Here!

3. tara

tara Astrea Snail

So if I clean that stuff out, do I have to worry about loosing my cycle?
    I started all kinds of wrong so it took FOOOREVERRR to cycle! I really dont wanna do it again.
    And I also have to figure out a qt tank ;|

4. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

Are you treating your tap water with dechlorinator? QT tanks for freshwater are useless imo

5. tara

tara Astrea Snail

Ive been using jungle start right. But I have the API master, it doesnt test for everything id like it to... I liked the strips better.
    So, I dont have to quarantine fresh water fish? That would be nice to not have to deal with, but I have to admit, it sounds like a good idea.

6. tara

tara Astrea Snail

So I just took out the fuzzy rocks, rinsed & hand scrubbed sitting a a bowl of water, h peroxide & baking soda, figured it couldnt hurt. Then I scraped the glass, now im waiting for it to settle, then ill do a gravel cleaning. Good?

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

No as long as you do not disinfect it. You will not have a cycle until your pH stays above 6.0 and better to have it around 7.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Good

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

No need for lights if you do not have any animals and more importantly live plants in the tank.

You want to slowly increase your stock levels so your bacteria colony can keep up with the increased load.

11. tara

tara Astrea Snail

So if I raise my Ph it might try to cycle??
    Well, I did the gravel clean, wich took out more water then I wanted to about 8 gal. Still some stuff floating around. I rinsed the intake tube, but not the whole cup thingy.
    Put the rocks back in along with a couple pieces of wood, and two caves. And some baking soda.
    I definitely plan on stocking slowly.
    Im assuming I should start with the plants before the fish? But when, and what kind?
    Oh I also have hard water, not sure on the numbers, I just know I can see the stains. I had very soft water where I used to live.

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Yes if your pH is above 6.5 it should start cycling.

Buy a KH and GH test kit. You want them each to be around 5 for stability and to have enough minerals in the water.

Starting with fish is better than with plants.

What type of lighting and how much do you have?

I also suggest having 250 gph circulation for your tank. You want good gas exchange to help keep your pH up. The CO2 levels in our homes can cause the pH to drop when we keep out windows closed so aerating the house well whenever possible is a plus.