Help please ;)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Tanks' started by tara, Mar 4, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

  1. tara

    tara Astrea Snail

    Joined:
    May 11, 2012
    Messages:
    46
    Well I tried to post a pic of my problem but my phone wont let me ;( so I have had no fish in my tank for about a week now, they died. I am trying to have a good healthy tank to put some happy healthy fish in! My tank never grew ANYTHING in it when it had fish, now just a couple days after the fish are gone, I put in a few shiny black rocks, the rocks are now growing fuzzy white stuff. I dont know if this is good or bad.
    The tank got poisoned by my son, the fish died within a few days, I did water changes immediately, but havent done one since the last fish died. So I left some food n poop in there hoping thst would help not loose my cycle. So maybe that was a bad idea? Yeah, I dont know what im doing, please help me!! Thanks. ;)
     
  2. Click Here!

  3. Vinnyboombatz

    Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2010
    Messages:
    6,344
    Location:
    Dunnellon, Florida
    Is this a SW or FW system??:confused:
     
  4. tara

    tara Astrea Snail

    Joined:
    May 11, 2012
    Messages:
    46
    Freshwater
     
  5. 2in10

    2in10 Super Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2009
    Messages:
    19,258
    Location:
    Sparks, NV
    Without a pic it is hard to say, you could be growing a bacterial mat or it could be algae.

    How did your son poison the tank?
     
  6. tara

    tara Astrea Snail

    Joined:
    May 11, 2012
    Messages:
    46
    Its 25 gal, ive taken all decorations out besides one little shark. Regularish blue gravel, penguin biowheel filter. 2ppm ammonia, 0 on everything else. very acidic. Im soaking a couple pieces of wood to put in, guy at fish store said to add wood and baking soda. I didnt notice the white fuzz before I went.
     
  7. 2in10

    2in10 Super Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2009
    Messages:
    19,258
    Location:
    Sparks, NV
    OK highly unlikely you have a bacterial mat if it is very acidic. That most likely is uneaten food or dead bacteria. A water change would be good to do to lower the ammonia and add a little more to buffer the pH.

    What are your goals with this tank?
     
  8. Click Here!

  9. Swisswiss

    Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2011
    Messages:
    2,879
    Location:
    Geneva Switzerland
    +1 on pictures, bacteria was what poped in my mind to, i dont know of any white fresh water algae
     
  10. tara

    tara Astrea Snail

    Joined:
    May 11, 2012
    Messages:
    46
    Oh, and ofcourse a heater too. Water temp 78. I dont know what to do about the light either, I just have it sitting on top of the lid wich used to be glass, now its half glass half plexi. Yeah it broke. The light im not sure if its the right one I need? The bulbs say natural daylight... Wich makes it real hard for me to convince my husband that the tank cant be sitting where theres going to be sunlight.
     
  11. Swisswiss

    Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2011
    Messages:
    2,879
    Location:
    Geneva Switzerland
    and you are right saying so, as placing the tank near direct sunlight will only promote algae growth.

    most bulbs that come in freshwater aquariums are adequate to both the fish and some plant growth.

    it would help to know exactly what bulb it is however, most likely a T5.

    get your husband to build you a new tank cover.

    but again tank near window is not a great idea.

    now regarding your water, how bad is your tap water? iv set up freshwater tanks using simply my tap water.

    best way to know how bad your water is is simply to test it using kits, or brining it to a fish store who will test it for you.
     
  12. tara

    tara Astrea Snail

    Joined:
    May 11, 2012
    Messages:
    46
    Lol so my son had some little plastic beaker tube that came with candy in it, he had since been putting water in it to drink it, I dont know if the water was fresh, or he found it with week old water. I was kida mean and told him he poisoned n killed my fish... I think he will stay away from it now.
    When ive tested my tap water, well it makes me not want to drink it.
    It has ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, I havent done a proper Ph test, but just a test straight from the tap shows plenty ph.
    The fish guy said my fish died from bacteria. Im geussing the high ammonia n acidity left them susceptible?
    Im thinking I might want to put some plants in there... Easy ones!
    Then im not sure exactly on the fish. Id like to get the.water & plants going healthy and then see what my appropriate fishy options are from there.