Help picking out power heads

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Peredhil, Sep 15, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

You can control the outward flow with the controllable pump. I don't see much use for it. I wouldn't spend the extra money.

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I ordered two Koralia 2 powerheads. I plan on putting them on the back sides close to the top pointing to front middle.

Should they be pointing towards the top front middle or the bottom front middle?

Thanks for the help!

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Cool. You will love the pumps, they are good solid units.

I have mine towards the top on the back, then pointing foward and down slightly, so that they would hit somewhere near mid-level. This really depends on the rockwork, flow you want, and what corals you have and where the corals are. Its something you will have to play with in the future, till you have found a "sweetspot" that makes everyone happy. There really isnt a clear-cut "right or wrong" set-up with aiming the powerheads.
    About the only thing you should go for is that the current of the two powerheads meet before reaching the glass. This will create a much more chaotic, random flow, which is better than just a constant, steady stream.

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

That makes sense. I'm just exiting my cycle stage and don't yet have any corals. I'll probably let it sit without any for a while still just to be safe.

I do have a structure that goes across the middle (it's wallish, but it is far from solid - lots of gaps). So I'm wondering on how do I tell where the currents meet and if my "wall" is getting in the way? Just feel it with my hand or is there a way to tell?

I'm reinstalling my computer and am on my work one - I'll post a pic of it when I get my personal machine back up.

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

You will be able to visually tell. Usually either by little bubbles that are randomly floating around, or you can even watch the debris during feeding. It wont be that hard. The koralia's put out a pretty wide current. I have a 40 standard with just a pair of 1's, and the current jet is probably at least 10" in diameter just by the time the current goes from the rear to the front of the tank, so it's not something that really needs precise aiming.

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Got my power heads in. I used the ebay seller PharmrJohn suggested. Pretty fast shipping!

They came with a little add-on for the tip - I guess it's to concentrate the flow. I'm wondering if I should use these - they're at opposite ends of a 4 foot tank pointing towards the middle/front wall - so I'm wondering if I should 'concentrate the flow' for the distance the current is being pushed?

I know there's not a right/wrong way and I don't have any corals yet; so I'm mostly asking what do you folks do?

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I use the tips. I honestly didnt see much of a difference in flow pattern, plus they close up the bigger gaps in the mesh to help keep anything out of it thats not supposed to be there (inverts!).

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

usually the more diffused the flow is the better.

11. Brendan275

Brendan275 Astrea Snail

Koralias ARE THE BEST!!!!