Help Overflow!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Mets, Dec 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mets

Mets Plankton

I wasn't sure where to put this but I thought here would be best. I don't frequent the forum much but I had a problem and I hope I can get some advice. The ato in my 150 got stuck and it caused the tank to overflow while we where sleeping. It seemed to be contained to one area and I got all the water I could see but its what I can't see the worries me. The stand doesn't look swolon or warped, at least not right now, but I was thinking I should probably replace it. I belive it is the Marineland Majesty stand, I don't believe its mdf but I cant tell if its solid wood or something else. Myabe someone who has had a similar problem can tell if the stand will be ok for the next few days or so while I get the new one and get some guys to come over and help me move everything? I appreciate any advice.

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I wouldn't get too hasty at replacing it just yet. According to Marineland's website, that stand is solid hardwood with water-resistant finish inside and out, so it should actually be fine. I will suggest getting a fan to dry any areas you couldn't reach and keep a check on it for a few days.

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I agree with Mr. Bill because I always agree with Mr. Bill ;)

I must add that your post is the exact reason I've been too wimpy about setting up my ATO. May I ask what ATO you were using?

5. Mets

Mets Plankton

I have the jbj ato. Its part my fault as I usually don't keep enough water in the ato tank to allow the dt to overflow but this time it all went wrong. I know tank stands are more then capable of doing there job even when the get wet but I am a bit of a worrier, especially since I sit at my desk a few hours ever week day right next to the tank. I had a red sea max which had a mdf stand that was badly swollen when I took it down yet it still seemed very solid. Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for that could be a sign of a problem?