Help!! Out of control!!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Moby Duck, Aug 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Moby Duck

Moby Duck Purple Spiny Lobster

2. Click Here!

3. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

I'll give my 2cents worth thats actually valued at about half a cent. your tank looks like a fairly new setup. what I have learned in my short time in this hobby, almost every algae has its stage, from what I remember 1st it was the diatoms, then the hair algae, then the red slime, then it was the cyno, without doing anything other than the norm, it all went away on its own in time.

4. swreefer

swreefer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I had a huge outbreak of every possible nuisance algae first couple of month. It's all gone, but I'm fighting Bryopsis now. I have 4x Coralia 750 in my 40B, 2 on each side pointing slightly up and center, my sand is crystal clear now - no sandstorm and detritus being suspended and removed by skimmer and filter.

5. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Powerhead placement is a good topic for discussion.

In my 65g. tall reef I had 4 things moving the water: (3) powerheads and the return.

One powerhead was placed low in the tank behind some rock, and it just shot straight across the tank, above the sand. The other two powerheads I did quite differently. I placed one on each side (on the length side, not the back of the tank). They were placed as close to the surface as possible without sucking air. One powerhead was shooting straight across at the other powerhead. However, instead of having them shoot at each other, the 2nd one was shooting at the opposite corner of the tank. Not only did this create A LOT of turbulence on the surface, it also hit both the front of the tank and the sides which in turn created circular water movement almost everywhere. There were a few areas that were getting flow, but not as strong as others--I wanted it that way so I could put lower-flow corals there without ripping them up.

However you place them, create a lot of turbulence on the surface.

6. yvr

yvr Skunk Shrimp

Algae problems are usually caused by aquarium water with excess nutrients like phosphate, nitrates etc. You can try and siphon out what you can to remove the algae in the short term. In the long term you may have to examine how you care for your tank. There are some commercial dry foods also contain excess nutrients and other undesirable things like nitrates, phosphates etc so I strain/rinse my fresh/frozen foods before feeding my tank. You may want to consider feeding your fish less often. Also, changing your photo period, light bulbs more flow, using RO/DI water and a high quality salt with little if any NO3, phosphates etc like Tropic Marin may help too. Adding a phosphate remover and increasing flow in your tank may help too.

7. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

one mp10 would fix all your problems