help our coral!

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Misspurl, Jan 28, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I would frag the healthy and start again. I'm thinking the lighting change along with the cleaner water could have stressed it.

2. Click Here!

3. Misspurl

Misspurl Plankton

We did the iodine dip. Since then the coral has more or less been retracted in on itself. I'm not super surprised by that because although it's always been hardy, its also been very moody and will close up for days at a time after being stressed. It doesn't appear that any more of the coral is dying off, but its also hard to tell with all the coral being closed up. The piece that we fragged off is doing fine. We were surprised by how quickly it took to the new rock, and we haven't had any issues with the frag! Even the section of the main coral where we cut is doing fine (we fragged off the top of the rock, that coral is perfectly healthy...its the complete opposite end of the rock that's not having issues!). We are still totally confused by what could be going on. As far as we know, we don't believe that we touched it with anything on our hands. We are always really worried about that, so we make sure not the have any soap or chemical residue on our hands. Also, i feel like if it were something in the water it would effect all the other corals, and like i said everything else is doing great. We added new corals about a month ago and they are already spreading like wild fire! They are very happy and healthy!

4. Misspurl

Misspurl Plankton

We did the iodine dip. Since then the coral has more or less been retracted in on itself. I'm not super surprised by that because although it's always been hardy, its also been very moody and will close up for days at a time after being stressed. It doesn't appear that any more of the coral is dying off, but its also hard to tell with all the coral being closed up. The piece that we fragged off is doing fine. We were surprised by how quickly it took to the new rock, and we haven't had any issues with the frag! Even the section of the main coral where we cut is doing fine (we fragged off the top of the rock, that coral is perfectly healthy...its the complete opposite end of the rock that's not having issues!). We are still totally confused by what could be going on. As far as we know, we don't believe that we touched it with anything on our hands. We are always really worried about that, so we make sure not the have any soap or chemical residue on our hands. Also, i feel like if it were something in the water it would effect all the other corals, and like i said everything else is doing great. We added new corals about a month ago and they are already spreading like wild fire! They are very happy and healthy!

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

good news! I'll bet your water is just really clean and the coral is having a hard time making that adjustment.

6. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I agree with this. It seems like it living in a less then ideal parameters for so long made it really like those parameters. Now that it is a lot cleaner the new corals are happy as can be and the GSP is having to adjust. If it stops receding then it should start to come back around, but if it continues to recede and die away start fragging off as much of the healthier looking parts as you can.