Help on buying a ro/di unit

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by grinder37, Aug 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

If you want to use this system as drinking water as well save a little more and get an inline carbon filter to put inline after the RO stages I found this out from spectrapure and desertrat.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Nothing, really, once you stop using "common sense" and start using logic. A bit of phosphate, nitrate, or nearly any other pollutant in the water isn't going to harm you nearly as much as it will a tank. Therefore, it stands to reason that you're better off drinking tap water than using it in the tank.

5. grinder37

6. blackraven1425

I wouldn't exactly say that. My reef is still crud compared to most of the regulars here.

I was just saying that while "common sense" says that people should be drinking water with higher standards, logic says otherwise. Look at what .02 ppm copper in your water can do in your body vs a reef tank, and that's analyzing using facts rather than the gut instinct.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  7. grinder37

Well then,i'm glad you cleared that up.Knowing whats best for my tank vs doing what i can afford isn't allways on the same level.

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

What I said has absolutely nothing to do with your financial situation. If you can't afford RODI, you can't afford it, it's that simple. I think it should be up on that list of "most important things for a reef", but what you do isn't my call; go America go.

What I'm saying is, you pointed out, semi-jokingly, that people should have the filtered water, not reefs, implying that the reasoning was common sense with "what's wrong with that picture?". I say semi-jokingly, because it was meant to be funny, yet also raise the issue. I pointed out that the assumption that humans = superior and animals = inferior therefore humans should get better quality water isn't the case once logic is applied; nothing more, nothing less. Nowhere did I mention finances.

10. grinder37

I mention my "budget often as that is what determines what happens with my reef,i'm not complaining or whining,it's just a simple fact"nothing more nothing less".And just because i don't have a ro/di unit yet doesn't mean i can't have a successful reef.2nd,i wasn't semi joking,i was totally joking,you raised the issue,not me,and i'm not getting into a dabate with you as to why we should drink our tap water and not put it in our tanks.I think your blowing this way out of proportion and as far as i'm concerned this conversation is over.

11. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

LOL you guys are funny this has to be the weridest argument ever.

12. grinder37

thats what 10 shots of 80proof vodka can do!;D