Help on buying a ro/di unit

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by grinder37, Aug 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Not at all. I try very hard to be impartial in most of my threads and posts and speak about water treatment such as RO or RO/DI in general terms without mentioning specific brands or vendors. We aquarists are a pretty demanding bunch when it comes to water quality so it limits the choices to only a handful of reliable vendors and treatment technologies which leaves a great many out. Those I would consider "Reef Quality" probably number less than a dozen and the others I lump into a "Ebay" or "Drinking Water" quality. Not to say they cannot be improved upon or modified to suit our needs, but they usually end up either being a poor performer or a money trap or both. With RO and especially RO/DI you really do get what you pay for and when a good deal comes along on a Reef Quality system I try to share with others and they have done for me in the past.

2. Click Here!

3. |-Goku-|

|-Goku-| Fire Worm

Thanks for the info! Guess I will look at the Spectrapure MaxCap :)

4. Jay Reef

Jay Reef Feather Duster

Got the complete package in the mail yesterday and put it together today. Now i have no basis for comparison as i've never had an ro/di unit but the quality seems great! nice to have a dual tds for piece of mind as well. The pressure gauge is a must. From my laundry faucet, I can put out a lot of pressure so i have to tune in to get optimal results and it's easy to do with the pressure gauge. so far so good! can't beat the price definitely and constructed to order too with a date on it!

5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Open your cold water faucet all the way, do not try to limit the pressure or blend hot and cold water together. RO membranes work better at higher pressures up to 150 psi and beyond. I run mine at 95-100 psi using a booster pump and the removal efficiency jumps up to 99.35% rejection. At 50 or 60 psi it would not be this good nor would it make water as fast. Optimal pressure is 80 psi or better with 40 being the bare bones minimum and 50 just squeaking by. 60 is OK but higher is better by far, you can pick up a full percentage or two in efficiency which equates to doubling the life of your DI resin.

6. Jay Reef

Jay Reef Feather Duster

the ro/di system will be ok handling pressure up to 150 psi? according to the gauge, 150psi is deep into the red zone...

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Well, the RO membrane should handle it well. As for the pressure gauge....

8. Click Here!

9. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

The limiting factors are the housings and fittings which are only rated at 100 to 125 psi working pressure if the yare NSF/ANSI and/or UPC rated. If they are Chinese imports all bets are off as most are not tested or rated equipment.

10. Jay Reef

Jay Reef Feather Duster

what is the pressure ratings on the john guest fittings and seals?

11. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

150 psi at 70 degrees F or 60 psi at 140 degrees F water temp.

12. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Glad to hear you got yours!I'm over halfway there in saving up,so i should be able to meet the sale deadline ontime.