Help on buying a ro/di unit

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by grinder37, Aug 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Not even close, the only units they have even close in price use high micron nominal rated prefilters, a second unnecessary carbon, untested off the shelf dry RO membranes, off the shelf DI resin, a fixed non adjustable flow restrictor and do not have either the inline pressure gauge or dual inline TDS meter? No comparison at $145 complete.

2. Click Here!

3. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Thanks Jersey,check out this entire thread,and you'll see why i'm going with spectrapure.AZDesertrat is one of the most trusted and respected guru's on this site when it comes to water purity,and the quality of ro/di units.But theres also a price difference in my favor for the better of the 2 units.Several people on this thread explained really well the differences between units and their quality as well,i just figured that a unit was just a unit,but found out they're not.But also found out the cheapest unit for the money also happens to be one of the best.This has been an awesome thread with a great deal of info and definatly worth reading.:)

4. Jay Reef

Jay Reef Feather Duster

I just placed my order for the spectrapure today. I'll let you know how it goes.

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I'm pretty sure AZDR and I went over why Spectrapure is the best deal already.

6. grinder37

I'm a week or 2 behind you on ordering,so yes,please do let us know what you think when it arrives.

7. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I would like to make it clear, I have no connection to Spectrapure or any other RO manufacturer, reseller or vendor. I work for a major environmental engineering firm and have been a certified treatement plant operator for almost 35 years now so I have lots of pratical experience. That plus I have personally owned 6 RO/DI units over the past 15 years and am pretty thorough about keeping log books and data on their performance. I look at a RO/DI as a fine tool the same as any craftsman and buy it for the long haul so the most important things to me are water quality and cost of ownership. Having started with a drinking water filter which ended up highly modified over its years of service I can say it served its purpose but I had a lot invested in it to make it perform and last. The cost of ownership was quite high.
    I bought my first Spectrapure units years ago when they did not offer the discounts you see today, in fact 6 or 7 years ago my first MaxCap retailed for something like $389 so the $249 today is a steal. The CSP-DI offers many of the same components and is also a good value though the long term cost of ownership will be a little more with its batch tested membrane and single DI but still much better than anything else comparable on the market.

8. Click Here!

9. vushnick

vushnick Astrea Snail

I'd go with spectrapure. One of the best bargains especially with this customer appreciation sale. I would go with the 4-stage RO/DI unit. It comes with a dual in line TDS meter with usually sales for $25-$30. Here is the link they sent me. See if it still works for you.

SpectraPure Customer Appreciation SALE! 20% - 50% off

Vu

10. tpme06

tpme06 Astrea Snail

I went with Spectapure, put my order in yesterday :)
    Thanks guys!

11. jerseyreefer

jerseyreefer Bristle Worm

I will be checking them out. There are always more things that I need. Thanks for the feedback.

12. grinder37

I hope i didn't say anything to make others think that you are in with the company,i've just read many,many of your post and know you have been an industrial water treatment expert for 35 years.Therefore,when i see your advice to others,i have gained that your advise is given from facts and not just an opinion,and a special thanks to you for that.I would also like a special thanks to Blackraven as well for his VAST overall general reef knowledge and being cool about sharing his knowledge with all of us.I thought i've learned alot over the last few years,and still find things that amaze me and baffle me,it also reminds me that just because i have the basics down,you can never stop learning more.