Help on buying a ro/di unit

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by grinder37, Aug 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. EmagdniM

EmagdniM Astrea Snail

Im hot hatin! lol Just giving my input, Im sure you will be more than pleased with the route you take, they both seem to know their stuff.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Nannook

Nannook Astrea Snail

I agree with the www.filterguys link. They are Reefers so they understand the specific needs you have. They offer a competive price and they will never cheat or short change you. IMO you will regret a purchase any other place because you will not get complete systems with all the connectors. These guys, (specifically Jim, he will answer the phone and take good care of you) are experts in the business for many years. They offer hand made customized systems. I compared, these guys are the best, with comparable prices and better, experience tested products. Tell Jim Nick sent you, who knows maybe he will give you our club pricing. Doesn't hurt to ask.

4. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Yes,they both do know there stuff as well as many,many others on here.I see your fairly new here,so WELCOME TO 3REEF!! And thanks for your input as well,i wanted to hear the good and bad on the cheapest unit i could get without sacrificing quality,any and all opinions.And yours counts too.So heres some k for ya.

1 person likes this.
  5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Filter Guys are two retired guys who had no previous experience in water or wastewater treatment and found a way to make a buck. They have only been around a few years and have given some pretty questionable advice. I might think twice about buying from them until I investigated further. When I pointed out some wrong information, in a non public PM directly to them and no one else, they cryed and had me kicked off Team RC and banned from that site permanently. Not a very good way of gaining customers in my book.

6. grinder37

There is no question on their quality,they do look like a well built unit,it was a tough choice between the 2,but the spectrapure has smaller micron filters and is $50 bucks less with the options i want included.To me $50 bucks is $50 bucks that i can buy eye candy with!! ;D

7. grinder37

And theres another reason i'm going with the spectrapure.:p

8. Click Here!

9. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

hey, let us know when u get this. I'm looking into getting one of these too, I'd like to know if u get everything u need with this system.(hoses, connectors etc)

10. grinder37

From what i've read up on so far,the unit comes pretty much complete,there are a few optional accesories,but not required,so i'm pretty sure it includes all the basics.I'm tring to sell a sw tank on craigs to help with extra $ so i can still get it while it's on sale.I just lowered the price on the tank a little today so hopefully it will sell quicker.If it doesn't sell,it's gonna take a few more weeks to be able to get it.So wish me luck!

1 person likes this.
  11. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

Thanks for doing the research I now know what I am going to be getting another Spectrapure Customer on the way!

1 person likes this.
  12. tpme06

tpme06 Astrea Snail

Not to threadjack or anything, but I was looking at the RO/DI units as well.. and also was thinking of going the Spectrapure route. However, in the next few years I may be moving around a couple times... and quite honestly I am not sure what kind of plumming is involved with a RO/DI unit. I read the one person who has his hooked up one night a week, and that seems like a viable option. Can anyone give a really basic description of what hookup is like? I appreciate the help! Sorry for the lack of knowledge on my part :p