Help on buying a ro/di unit

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by grinder37, Aug 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

I'm not worried about having 5 stages,i just can't find the spectrapure unit for $145 that Blackraven mentioned,most sites are well over $200.But now in defence of the filter guys unit,it's very comparable,the $199 unit has dual tds meter,flush valve,and all american parts and built,.Remember,i'm working on a tight budget and trying to get the most bang for the buck and that includes all the optional stuff i'd have to buy with the spectrapure unit.Mabey i should start a poll??lol..

2. Click Here!

3. grinder37

We must have been typing at the same time,thanks Blackraven!I added it to my favorites,i've been looking since earlier! lol

4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

SpectraPure Customer Appreciation SALE! 20% - 50% off

Here is the link to the sale prices on the CSP-DI for $145 complete.

Do not go the ebay route, it will cost you more to upgrade than buying a good unit to begin with. Also do not concern yourself with the word "Stages", its an old ebay trick to make cheap drinking water systems sound like real reef quality RO/DI systems which could not be further from the truth.
    Its what the stages contain not how many there are. The CSP-DI uses a 0.5 micron absolute rated prefilter, they don't come any better except for their own 0.2 micron absolute rated ZetaZorb. Next it has a 0.5 micron 20,000 gallon capacity solid carbon block, two are not needed nor are they better. Follow that with a batch hand tested RO membrane with a special proprietary treatment to improve its performance and add a custom blended DI resin specifically for reef systems and they do not come any better or less expensive. Shop quality not just price.

Flush valves are a waste of money as most never get used correctly anyway, even then there is no documented proof they do anything other than lighten your wallet.

1 person likes this.
  5. grinder37

Very good info,thanks AZ!,but yes i was turned off quickly at the ebay chinese(other word for junk)units,it was The Filter Guys unit i was looking at,but Blackraven got me the link to the sale ad,which blows all competition out of the water.It'll be about a week before i can order but it looks like i have till the end of the month to get the discount.So spectrapure wins the vote!!Thanks to it's price and the feedback from all the big dogs on here who knows what there doing,and i trust your guys input,as 3reef hasn't ever steered me wrong yet.Thanks again!

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Spectrapure is a Sponsor of 3 Reef and has a forum on here to answer all your questions. Many people do not realize this I guesss.

1 person likes this.
  7. grinder37

I know spectrapure is a sponser of 3reef,but until i read several of these ro/di threads thats popping up everywhere;D,i really didn't understand the big difference either.But i mentioned a couple of times in this thread that budget is a big factor for me,so i guess i timed it just right and very glad i asked before just buying the cheapest one i could afford.I truly appreciate the WELL informed input from you and everyone!

8. Click Here!

9. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

Spectrapure CSPDI is the only way to go on a budget in my opinion. there is no way you can go wrong with it for 145$. you will not find a quality unit(this is one of the highest) with this capacity, these options and quick support. there is no competition IMHO. Buy it.

10. grinder37

The decision is made,just waiting on payday ;D,but no,with it on sale,you cannot beat the deal,i've spent the better part of the last 2 days researching and inquiring about units and reading threads,the responses on the spectrapure unit are overwhelming compaired to other units.

11. EmagdniM

EmagdniM Astrea Snail

I dont know about Spectrapure, it looks to be a nice unit...but Ive been extremely pleased with the performance of the BRS 4 stage unit I just recently purchased.

12. grinder37

Yes it does look like a decent unit,but to upgrade with the accesories i'm wanting is $199,thats more than a $50 difference,with $50 i could buy a new coral or fish and some maintenance supplies,plus after AZDessert and Blackraven explained it so well that i now have a way better understanding of the units and filters.My mind is set ;D