HELP! Nitrates!

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by reeftankgirl, Mar 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reeftankgirl

reeftankgirl Astrea Snail

Hi there, After reading many Nitrate Threads I just wanted to figure out how to lower my nitrates.... I have a 16g bf, right now they are at 40, I have lost 2 clown fish yesturday but for 2 days now I have been trying to lower them down....I've tried vacumming sand bed which I had never done (Im fairly new to this, only have had my tank for 4.5 months now) and I have done alot of water changes. I cannot afford a denitrator I researched and they are over $100... But I am anxious to lower my nitrates immediatly before I loose my last fish or any of my 5 corals.. Can anyone help? what can I do to lower them right away or fast?

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

No3 of 40ppm will not cause a fish to die. You need to find whats causing the No3. Can you tell a little about your set up and what you do to the tank? Luna

4. marleneZ

marleneZ Plankton

reeftankgirl,

Have you checked ammonia and nitrites? Don't vacuum your sand bed, that is where all of the bacterial plankton and larger planktonic animals live who are breaking down the waste products. As lunatik_69 said we need to know more about your tank, how many animals you have, what kind of filtration, do you have a skimmer or carbon, etc.?

Marlene

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

BTW, 40ppm isnt that bad, if you had 80ppm and climbing, then I would be worried for you.

BTW, Welcome to 3reef my fellow Floridian or should I say Miamian.;D

[SCROLL]Luna;D[/SCROLL]

6. reeftankgirl

I have about 25pounds of live rock, 5 corals, 7line wrasse (onlyfish left), sand sifting star, 2 sails, 5 crabs and about 2 inches or live sand. I have a 30g powerhead and I believe what is a 30g filter.

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I dont understand what you mean by a "30g powerhead" and a "30g filter" I can assume that you mean you have a 30g(filter) is a sump or refugium but I dont get the 30g powerhead. Luna

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

No, what I think they mean is that the have a mechanical HOB filter rated at 30 gallons, with a powerhead rated at 30 as well.
    How much flow (GPH) are those exactly? What type of powerhead? Do you have a skimmer? What about an airstone?
    A 7 line wrasse and 2 clowns = too much fish for a 16 gallon IMHO. Did you add both clowns at the same time as well?

10. reeftankgirl

ok I just got home and checked.....the power head is an aquaclear powerhead 30, its for 10-30gallon aquariums up to 175gph but i dont have so powerful I think I have it about halfway ...

the filter..Marineland Penguin Power Filter model 200.

No I dont have a skimmer nor an airstone.....do I need those?

11. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

how old is the tank?

12. reeftankgirl