HELP !! new lubbocks wrasse in trouble

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by John Alston, Feb 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. John Alston

John Alston Astrea Snail

I just brought my new lubbock's wrasse home, drip aclimated him for about 2 hours. when i put him in my qt, he went directly to the bottom of the tank, wedged himself between two pieces of lr and he's still there an hour later. is he in trouble or is this normal?

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

He may just be trying to hide, a lot of fish will do that for a few days even after coming home. You can try turning off the light and even throwing a towel around the tank to help it relax
    How is it's breathing?

4. Yuri Kapustin

Yuri Kapustin Coral Banded Shrimp

he probably very nervous. Make sure that there is plenty of places for him to hide in his qt. I use a ton of pvc pipes. Wrasses feel comfortable in rocky areas and hide in the sand and rock a lot. One of my wrasses diggs a burrow every night in the sand. Another one always hides for over two hours in the rock if i reach my hand in the tank....

You should be fine. Just keep an eye on him

1 person likes this.
  5. John Alston

John Alston Astrea Snail

thanks folks. i can't tell how tell he's breathing but when i moved the rock he was under he moved out pretty quick. he was imbedded in the sand beside a rock so it sounds like he is acting as expected. your feedback is much appreciated. i've been in the marine fish passion for about a year and today was my wife's innaugural visit to the lfs. up till now she's been pretty aloof to the fish thing. but she was so smitten with it that convinced me to get the wrasse. normally i plan out my fish aquisitions so that everything is ready whne he/she comes home. but this time things were not as organised and i was hoping that this disorganisation didn;t stress out the poor guy too much. again, much appreciated!

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Be thankful she didn't want a leopard wrasse. Those puppies hit the sand at 90 MPH and you won't see them again for a week.

7. Yuri Kapustin

Yuri Kapustin Coral Banded Shrimp

I know how that goes haha. Since the birthday of my reef tank, my gf has criticized and criticized haha. First time she went to the lfs with me, she saw a display tank filled with a carpeted gsps all over the bottom and xenia all along tonga branches. Now Its my duty to make one for her in my new 10 gal haha. Good luck to me haha

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. mile high reefer

mile high reefer Fire Shrimp

Just a note cover take they are jumpers when he comes around. My wrasse jumped for freedom.

1 person likes this.
  10. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

They only jump if their is a reason for him to jump. I jsut read you also have a royal gramma. They dont mix well with Fairy Wrasse. I would not keep both in your tank. Good Luck if you keep both.

1 person likes this.
  11. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

This is normal. Don't worry he will come out when he feels comfortable.

1 person likes this.
  12. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Fairy Wrasse do not do well with highly territorial fish like a Royal Gramma. I had to remove my Female Clownfish so I could add my Solar Wrasse. If you are keeping both then at least at them both at the same time. Or put the Wrasse in first then the Gramma

1 person likes this.