HELP MY XENIA

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by hottielover14, Jul 19, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

HELP!!!!! My Xenia i just bought a couple of days ago is now shrinking and losing it's symbiotic algae. I researched it and it sound like coral bleaching. It's caused by overheating usually. So i checked my tank and its at like 86 my therm. says. I don't think my therm. works it's one of those strip ones. I've had my heater for about 2 years. IT's a 200 watt heater. I took it out for now to see if it cools down. Will my xenia die.

2. Click Here!

3. seawillow

seawillow Coral Banded Shrimp

Before I hooked up my chiller, my tank used to go up to about 88 degrees. I used to get so nervous figuring everything would boil. Everything was and is fine though. I have found that xenia is very durable...at least mine has been. One of mine got caught in the power head in the fuge..it was stretched out like an elastic, but it's fine. Another one had a small piece fall off when I moved it. That, too, I put in the fuge and it's fine. You may want to invest in a regular thermometer as I've never trusted those strips. I had them on my FW tanks for a short time. If your water parameters are okay and there's nothing else going on in your tank, I feel your xenia will perk up and be okay, but again that's only my opinion ;)

4. hottielover14

my water is perfect in every component.

5. seawillow

seawillow Coral Banded Shrimp

That's good! Hopefully you'll see some improvemnent each day...keep us posted!

6. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

where is your zenia located is it toward the top of the tank? and what lights are you using? it could be gettin to much heat from the lights and maby lowering the coral in the tank could help just someting you can try

7. hottielover14

yeah it's at the top and i have 260 watt. PC. I turned off my heater last night and now my tanks at about 76-78 degrees. Maybe i don't need a heater. What is the perfect temp for a reef. Some of the stalks are turning green and dying and some are just like wiltering away. I might of cut some when i was putting them in.

8. Click Here!

9. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

Xenia will die at 86 degrees. Xenia hates heat. IT should come back now that your temp is down. I keep my reef around 79 or 80.

10. hottielover14

how long til it recovers. some stalks are turning greenish yellow.

11. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

it may take a whille to fully recover but they are a very hardy coral so if you catch it in time it should come back ok

12. hottielover14

do i even need a heater my tank is about 76-78 now and it's been 2 days since i turned mine off. why are they turning greenish yellow. It's not looking good so far. I cought it in 2 days.