Help: My octopus had babies.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Katya, Apr 22, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Katya

Katya Astrea Snail

I have not been able to get even a tentacle out of her cave. I fear the worst. I am hoping to keep one of her octopus-lings if I can get them to eat. They are still swimming around and I have been trying a variety of live foods. I'm not sure of the success rate for this type of thing. They are so amazing to watch! They have bright blue eyes, they are translucent pearl in color, you can see their individual tentacles, and they seemingly dance around the tank. It's pretty magical.

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

wow! just saw this thread! how awesome katya! would absolutely love to see more pictures or maybe a short video would be great!! I'm sending some positive vibes your way that you'll be able to rear some successfully!

4. Katya

Katya Astrea Snail

That's a shot of the full tank. I took a video just have to figure out how to upload it from my phone. There are so many fewer of these guys than in the beginning of the week. I can't seem to get them to eat. :(

Attached Files:

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

They need live food, they are predators.

After losing my Octopi around 1 year of age I decided two was enough, the heartbreak was too much.

Ursula used to wave her long tentacles out of the tank to be touched, she resided on the kitchen counter and loved interaction. They really are very much like a dog or cat, not a fish by any means.

Enjoy the time you had and the wonderful surprise of babies, not many hobbyist get to experience that.

6. Katya

Katya Astrea Snail

I have been feeding them pods, phyto, and zoo plankton mix. It is heartbreaking to loose mom. I don't know if I want to do another one.