Help: My octopus had babies.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Katya, Apr 22, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

That's awesome. I kept an octopus for almost a year and was really fascinated and one of my favorite ocean dwellers. I'd see about getting credit for the babies while there still alive, just a thought. Here's hoping they pull through for you.

2. Click Here!

3. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Was doing a little reading. some octopus die shortly after giving birth, not saying your species would, but it doesn't seem like they eat their young. So they are probably safe from their mother at least.

"Do not use Artemia as a food! The first food I tried was newly hatched Artemia as well as adult Artemia enriched with Selco and I lost all of the octopuses in that batch. Yes, O. briareus has a great feeding response and will capture Artemia but no one has documented positive growth using this food (Boletzky 1983). Foods that do work are: mysid shrimp, amphipods, crustacean larvae, crustacean appendages, little kids (just joking), and small crabs. Hanlon (1985) reports that food should be from 1/3 to 2 times the mantle length.

Baby octopuses are ravenous little beasts and are able to double their weight every week under the right conditions. For this reason, you will need to have a lot more food then you might think. Freshly killed food such as crustacean appendages will not move around so you will need to uses tweezers and bump the food into the octopuses yourself. Frozen food also will not work though it can be fed to adults. You should find that the little bugers eat a lot and grow fast. Octopuses need to grow fast to obtain their adult size in their short one to two year life span."

Just a little i found in another article as well about feeding.

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

5. rogerstammy

rogerstammy Peppermint Shrimp

I'm following because this is freakin awesome!!!!

mdbostwick likes this.
  6. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  7. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

so following this!

8. Click Here!

9. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

have they eaten yet?

mdbostwick likes this.
  10. Katya

Katya Astrea Snail

I'm not sure. I've put mysis in there along with phyto and zoo plankton. I haven't seem them really go after anything.

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I used to collect newly hatched Octopi from the Back Bay at Newport Beach. I fed them live foods, arthropods and other misc anthropods I collected off the docks in a net. They really need live food and will begin to cannibalize each other after a week or two. Even at this tiny stage they are more then capable of finding the tiniest of holes and escaping.

Katya likes this.
  12. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale