HELP!!! my coral is Dying

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Rawdogz, Jan 23, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I'm in agreement. Some of your pics show soft corals next to some of your sps. It could be some kind of "coral warfare" of some sort?

2. Click Here!

3. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

i have a few different types, off the top of my head i know i have a toad, finger and that all i can remember ;D. i run carbon in my sump now it about 2 month old

4. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

my tank is split down the mid one side is soft/polyp and the other side is eveyone else. the pic in questions the sps are on a shelf high above the softies the pic just make them look like they are next to each other.

5. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

i going to do a big water change now and see if it will help. but i have a feeling it was the sudden raises in alk that started this

6. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

i turned off all the PH to take the pic that why it looks so

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I can show you hundreds of mixed reefs that have soft corals and sps, if you run carbon and do water changes to be on the safe side there should be not an issues.

With that said, I am one of those that has a difficult time maintaining a mixed reef compromised of soft corals and sps in a smaller tank, pretty much anything under 75 gallons. It's one or the other for me.

8. Click Here!

9. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

i have had it that way for 5 yr now. am slowly working my way to all sps thou.

alk/ph i think is the issue. my ph never went higher then 8.4 in the "day" and now its 8.59 to 8.7, so something is off with the ph/alk hopefully this water change will help out so i can get a better picture of situation

10. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I imagine your alk is super high. I couldn't find anywhere in this thread where you list your alk. To be honest, I would never attempt SPS if I wasn't absolutely sure what my alk and ca both are. Magnesium too, to some extent but it isn't near as dangerous as you alk.

11. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I can show you many as well but there's a reason why you have a hard time keeping both in one tank. Softies, especially leathers, can be nasty buggers. Carbon is certainly your friend with a mixed tank. (yes my tank is mixed) =)

12. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

right now my alk is 168. it went from 136 to 212 in one day when i did a water change and dose after water change test(checking tank records).i bought some liq alk from the store because i didnt have any more powered mix.and thats what started all this now that i remember

normally alk, cal and mag is dead on, but my alk pump crapped out and i didn't notice it until the day of the water change. my tank uses about 5ppm of alk a day and i keep it at 195 so the pump was out for about 11 days, just a guess thou

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013