HELP MY CLAM MAY BE DYING!!!!!

Discussion in 'Clams' started by hottielover14, Aug 26, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Just so that anybody reading this thread doesn't think I am being uneccisariliy short or curt with HL14, please click on the link in Jason's post.

HL14 was cautioned that the light was insufficient for the clam. Well now the cry for help is very distressing because, except for what can only be assumed to be selfishness, the clam will suffer a fate that was completely avoidable.

Hopefully this will be a tough lesson for all that won't be forgotten. Unless we are willing to make the investment and excersize patience to ensure the best possible environment for all of the creatures we want, then we are acting irresponsibly at best.

The environment should not just allow the animals to survive, but give them an opportunity to thrive. The pinnacle of success in the home acquaria hobby is when the things in your tank grow so well that you have to sell or give them away. This is the grass roots of conservation we should all be called to.

Wouldn't it be great if your clam grew so big you had to donate to a public acquarium!

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

[smiley=thumbs_up1.gif] although I am sad to here about the clam............... John

4. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

:'( thanks guys. i'm not being selfish im very patient but i didn't expect to get the lights next month. Its a sad thing that he's dying. I'm sorry i wish i could do something to save it.

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

It was Kinda like buying fish before you bought a tank. The frustration you are seeing is that we have seen this all before. So when we told you to return the Clam until you got your lights it was because we knew the clam would not last.
    When you do get your lights you will have to acclimate you Tank inhabitants to the new light. Meaning you will have to limit the photo period or shade the light and incrementally increase it until at full period and intensity. The clam will not make it through that time.

J

6. hottielover14

i know i should of returned it. sorry to get off subject, How do i acclimate the lighting.

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

[quote author=Jason McKenzie link=board=ASAP;num=1093577989;start=0#13 date=08/27/04 at 20:07:35]you will have to limit the photo period or shade the light and incrementally increase it until at full period and intensity.  
    J[/quote]

8. Click Here!

9. hottielover14

i know but how many hours.

10. hottielover14

YEP, MY CLAM IS NOW PRONOUNCED OFFICIALLY DEAD!!! :(

11. Craig Manoukian

[quote author=Jason McKenzie link=board=ASAP;num=1093577989;start=0#13 date=08/27/04 at 20:07:35]Meaning you will have to limit the photo period or shade the light and incrementally increase it until at full period and intensity.[/quote]

This is pretyy clear to me. A full photo preiod runs between 8 & 12 hours at the equator which is where the majority of the worlds reefs are.

12. Craig Manoukian

Truly sad the clam succumbed to what we feared would happen.