HELP my Cheato is Disintegrating.

Discussion in 'Algae' started by WhiskyTango, Nov 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

what is your temperature, alk and calcium?

2. Click Here!

3. Biggs2003

Biggs2003 Flamingo Tongue

I noticed something interesting this weekend during a water change. I poured the new tank water over my cheato to act as a defuser to stop the water from mixing up the sand silt in my tank. I tested the salinity after I mixed the tank and it was high, so I took a few gallons out of the tank and replaced it with fresh (again through my cheato).

I noticed later that night that the top layer of my cheato turned gray. I think the high salinity to no salinity "burned" the cheato. Any chance you did a water change before this happened?

4. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

Hmmm..... My DT return T's off and some goes to the fuge, so I when I add rodi topoff water back to the pump compartment an unmixed % also goes into the fuge. I bet it's the brief hypo-salinity every couple days that's doing it. I'll shut off the fuge valve when doing topoff's from now on.

5. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

This was happening to me also.for the life of me I could not figure it out till I noticed when I toped off the cheato would look weird. that must have been because of the hyposalinity in the sump right with the cheato..now i have it set up different and all is well in the land of cheato...

6. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

Thanks for the input everyone. I think that explains it.