help mixing Instant Ocean Salt

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by adamSpline, Aug 8, 2008.

1. adamSpline

adamSpline Plankton

I have been using Instant Ocean Sea Salt, but I have not had great results getting the salt to dissolve in the water.

This is what I do... two gallons of water, with one cup of salt, mixed in a bucket, stir it a bit every hour or so, let it sit over night, in the morning there are still salt particles, I stir it more and more, but still salt on bottom of bucket and floating in water.

Eventually, I do just add it to the tank (the hydrometer gives my tank a good reading). But, I am surprised it takes so long to mix? Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? Could it have something to do with my local tap water (oops... yes I am using tap water that is de-choronized... I know.. I know). Any other ideas?

Typically, I try to go to the get real ocean water once a week, so really I just mix salt for emergencies (which tends to happen more than I want)

Thanks

-Adam
  2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

stick a powerhead in with it and let it sit overnight
  4. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

The problem might be your tap water. But how much undissolved salt are we talking about here? Half a teaspoon or less at the bottom of the bucket? Might not be a big concern, but salt mix does have a mix of elements in it, not just (NaCl) salt. So hopefully that isn't other undissolvable trace elements that your tank needs. I don't see in your sig that you have any coral?
    1 person likes this.
  5. JohnnyBoy

JohnnyBoy Purple Spiny Lobster

Werd!:smoking: That's exactly what I did and it worked for me.
  6. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I use a 5 gallon bucket, 5 gallons of water 1.5 cups of salt and drop a powerhead into it overnight. Check and add salt as needed the next day and if I am using right away ok if not I leave powerhead in it till I need.
  7. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Gazog, if i were you I'd be using 2.5 cups for 5 gallons or 1.5 cups salt mix for 3 gallons. I mix to 1.025 SG, but maybe your SG is lower for some reason?
  8. Click Here!

9. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Since I am using it for my reef tanks 1.025, my adult seahorses 1.021-22 and baby seahorses 1.019 I start out on the low end and add as needed to bring it up to speed. I can always add more salt but in a 5 gallon bucket it kind of hard to add water when its already full to the top.
  10. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Ok, that makes sense. I can't mix a full 5 gallons though, because it would be too hard to pour it into the tank w/o spilling everywhere. I only mix up 4 gallons at a time and pour it in, b/c I don't have my extra little Rio powerhead setup to pump water back into the tank. When I get a bigger tank w/ a sump and bigger mixing bucket, then you can bet I'll be using a pump to get the water back into the tank/sump system. With only 1 system running, I really don't even measure exactly, but it always stays at 1.025. I guess you could say that I could mix my tank water in my sleep. ;D
  11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn Giant Squid

That solved the problem for me.
  12. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

I mix mine in a 50 gal drum going constaintly and it has its own pump in it. That way I can get water when I need it by just pumping it out. I just hook up my line to my RO unit when I need to add some H2O.