Help me really bad fish tank!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Moray Eel, Sep 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Moray Eel

Moray Eel Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

what do you mean by kits by kits you mean reef cleaners or what?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. Moray Eel

I don't think so because i just checked a month ago the PH was 8 or something close to that.:-/

4. divott

divott Giant Squid

by kits, they mean test kits for phosphates,nitrates and such. or take your water to an lfs and get them to check it.

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Nope, test kits.

LFS don't even always perform the tests right, or they'll use dip strips. Having your own kits is part and parcel of having a tank.

6. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I don't know how long you've been in this hobby, but we need to figure out how it got the way it is before we can help you.

I don't know if you just jumped right into this hobby or have done any research or reading, but your sporadic and brief answers to the important questions being asked seem to indicate that you are new. There is a lot that goes into this hobby and of course you're not expected to know everything initially. In order to answer you questions and help you, we need a full detailed description of the problem, what al relevant parameters are, PH, Ammonia, Nitrate, nitrite and phosphate. If you can't tell us these numbers, it will be much harder to help you and we will only be able to give you generic advice. Stating I need help with algae and then stating don't ask how is not going to cut it.

Generically, you are for sure over feeding? How much do you feed? How often? What are you feeding?

Do you do water changes?

Your PH test of .25 is wrong. You either performed the test wrong, or it's a different test kit. A PH of that level would indicate your tank is nearly pure acid.

Once you give a more comprehensive description of the problem, we will be able to help you much better.

7. Moray Eel

Yes I'm new and i'm also over feeding but that's only because they look so hungry at first. I put a little bit in then they eat that fast so I give them little bit more they don't eat so I give them alot just incase they didnt notice but then they only eat 1 it's really annyoing.I usually feed them at night and then again when I wake up. feed my Tomato clownfish and other my other fish some sinking pellets and my Snowflake eel Soaked Krill I feed my snowflake Eel about 3 to 10 depending on how hungry he is.Acually there was this on time when he ate my Giant hermit Crab and cleaner shrimp. :cry: I used to untill the algea problem I was more focused on Algea then water back then and i just remembered about changing the water when you said it.The PH might be different because I use the type when you put a sample of your water in your tube and then you squirt the bottle in it know what im talking about? Ok my tank MIGHT be pure acid but probably not.

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

You don't have a pH of .25. Nearly all test kits involve squirting something into a test tube with a sample of water.

10. Tropical Addict

Tropical Addict Bubble Tip Anemone

After reading your above post I think you should STOP the over feeding. It seems that you're aware of it and you keep doing it anyway. You should do some research on saltwater fish and how to keep them. The fact that you don't test your water, over feed, and don't water changes is not a good thing. You're going to end up killing everything in your tank. That also might be why your tank looks the way it does. How long has your tank been running, and what size is it?

11. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

wow... ok you should probably not keep any shrimp or smaller fish in the tank with your eel. You need to start tearing out the algae by and, and stop feeding. It will likely take months to fix your problem. My tank got GHA pretty bad after setup and it took 3-4 months to beat it with a good no feeding regimen, a refugium, and limited manual removal.
    Since you have alot of fish, you might need to get used to the look, or sell off your stock and start over right.

Do you have a sump? if so i would buy 7 filter socks and change them out everyday with a new one. I know this alone has helped alot of people with their nutrient problem.

Get a good skimmer and start weeding. I hope you trained your eel to hand feed, it was the only way I could do tank maintenance with my snowflake.

12. Moray Eel

I will check the Ph again.