Help me out.

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by HxCxHaley, Jun 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HxCxHaley

HxCxHaley Astrea Snail

Connecticut. where i live doesnt exist on a map...
    Okay I have my corals (in my signature)
    and I recently added 2 fragged polyps, each have about 2 or 3 polyps on the plug.
    One grew another. Now they both have three, I bought them 2 or 3 months ago and I would expect them to be growing a bit faster!
    I've been adding reef plus- concentrated vitamin and amino acid supplement twice a week.
    I notice my other corals don't seem to be growing much either, I test the water with my kit that shows nitrate, nitrite, pH and ammonia. They seem to be fine. I assume I should bring a water sample to my local fish store, but I'm leaving for a cross country trip and my semi- clueless 55 year old mother will be caring for my tank.

I had a mushroom coral, and it just shriveled up and died. :/ I hoped it was the lighting, and put it in another tank. But I couldn't save it.

I seem to also have red slimy algae all over, I clean it once or twice a week. It's not a big deal, my teacher at school who is way into this stuff said its from natural light getting to my tank. EUGH!! :(

I'm way in over my head, but I so want this to work.

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE!
    my fish are doing amazing,
    AND
    my anthelia are growing like WILDFIRE!
    I started last summer with 3 little babies, and now I have about 30, splitting off into their own separate colonies. I'm proud of that at least, I must be doing SOMETHING right for them at least.

give me words of wisdom.
    I'm a 15 year old, going into junior year, and I love the ocean and hope to peruse a marine biology career.

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

HxCxHaley

Zoanthid or polyp growth is not exactly rapid IME
    The smaller the colony you start with the longer you have to wait before they start to colonise the surrounding rock - which they eventually will
    the 1st indication I normally become aware of, is if I am going to remove the colony to frag or re locate and find that its fixed rigidly where it was once placed, due to polyps spreading

red slimey algae sounds like Cyno - you might need to look at your overall water movement ? as this stuff does really well in the slower moving areas of the tank

are you running Carbon? the shrooms may have been the victims of chemical warfare, and the leather corals would be my prime suspects
    running carbon can help remove these harmfull chemicals from the tank

Steve