Help me ID this beauty

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Speedy, Aug 9, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

I need help IDing this guy. He eats like a hog. Purple to dark blue outside, mint metallic green inside or mouth. Check it out. Thanks in advanced.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

1 person likes this.
  4. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

MMMMmmm. Not sure. Look at these.

Attached Files:

5. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

Yours cave down like little bowls, mine peak upwards like lil mountains or cones. I'm not sure. but they do like the Mysis.

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

protopalythoa sp.

It's sometimes called a Sea-Mat.

Wear gloves when fragging it. If you have open wounds on your hands on your hands or arms, wear gloves before sticking your hand in the tank. ALWAYS wash hands well afterwards. Never rub mucous membranes (eyes, nose, lips) until you have washed WELL. ACTUALLY, I WOULD ENCOURAGE THIS EVEN IF YOU DON'T HAVE A SEA-MAT. SOME PEOPLE HAVE CONTRACTED TB FROM THEIR TANKS.

Palytoxin is absolutely fascinating to my scientific leanings (it is the longest Carbon chain known to man). However, you don't want to mess with it. One of my friends got a small amount in his mouth and eye and the only thing that saved him was that I told him to take Benadryl and to call 911 immediately. The medics pumped even more Benadryl intravenously while on the way to the hospital.

I've kept them...they don't frighten me in the least. But I take precautions like wearing gloves, washing, etc. There's no reason to freak out, because a few precautions make this an easily kept coral.

Here's a couple of links for you. http://www.cbwinfo.com/Biological/Toxins/Palytoxin.html
    http://www2.hawaii.edu/~bemorton/Neuroscience/Neurochemistry/Palytoxin.html

7. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Wow...thats one scarry coral.

Jay

8. Click Here!

9. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

Polytoxins are quite fascinating, however, the dangerous and adverse reactions are suffered by those that are allergic to it. I won't take my chances either way.

However, I am positive it is not protopalythoa. I have 4 different protopalythoa colonies in my tank. This is definitely not one of them.

It is actually and LPS. It has a hard skeleton. Which can be seen in areas where polyps have died off. But I can't photograph it with this camera for the life of me.

10. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

I would guess its some type of Favia coral if there is a skeleton.

11. boostenmkiv

boostenmkiv Flamingo Tongue

1 person likes this.
  12. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale