Help me get ready for SPS - 3 Big problems.

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Ryan Duchatel, Jun 12, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

I'm not trying to start an argument, but for the sake of clarity... this isn't what you're arguing. You state that high mag "typically causes" the imbalance. This is not true. Yes, the two may become out of balance due to dosing errors, but the mag levels being high is not a cause of the imbalance at all... just something that allows you to run them both where they should be.

As you mention, correct magnesium when low... then correct your other low value. You cannot correct them the other way. Make sure you don't correct it by more than 100ppm in a day.

2. Click Here!

3. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

I am using Red Sea test kits. I did not test a second time. I will do another set of tests tonight and test twice.

4. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

I have not checked that actually. I will make up a batch of fresh salt water and test the levels.

5. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Now we have determined that my problem (and probably coral problems in general) are due to a very low level of the big 3, how do I go about fixing this?

Is the answer a dosing unit?

6. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

You should get them all to be "correct", then see what your tank is actually using before jumping into a dosing unit. Kalkwasser might do just fine. Just relax and give it time. Fix your balance issue and see what your tank is actually using.

7. Chris!

Chris! Banned

Mag of 1400 is not really considered high, and a high mag isn't a big issue... low mag is an issue. 1200, is low.....

Did you seriously just tell the OP to lower his mag that is already low at 1200????? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! It needs to be raised, then his calcium needs to be raised and IMO it wouldn't hurt if alk went down a little more. BTW, with SPS bacterial driven ULNS systems are fairly common and not something new ;)

You don't have a very low level of the big 3.... your alk is fine or if anything high. Your mag was fine until it dropped to 1200 you need to...

1. find out what caused the dip in mag so quickly, and correct it or dose to increase and maintain it at an elevated level.
    2. correct your calcium level and find what your consumption rate is
    3. decide if manual dosing, dosing pumps, or a calcium reactor will be best for you. I am not a fan of kalk stirrers as I have seen to many people have issues this way and will not suggest them based on that and my lack of personal experience with them.

BTW can you post a FTS. Thanks.

8. Click Here!

9. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

So after I check the levels tonight, I should manually dose Ca and Mg until Ca is at 450ish and Mg is at 1350ish?

I can tell you now I don't really want to manually dose because there are times I come home very late and require my partner to feed the tank. I don't want to add extra responsibilities of dosing.

But it will come down to dosing vs calc reactor. In terms of actual space, I have no room in the sump at all for a calc reactor, can they be run externally? I think a dosing pump sounds like the best option as I can use it for many different applications when I upgrade etc etc

1 person likes this.
  10. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Post up the numbers and have some of the posters check them out and let you know what the next step is. Just remember to many changes to fast is also not good so any changes should be made slow. Also Im not sure if I missed it in this thread. But how have you gone about acclimating both to tank params and lighting. If I missed if sorry. I can snap a pic of a simple little dosser I made from a clear plastic cup with air line tube and a line drawn on it. so if I can't dose ,all my wife has to is add the supplement to the line on fhe cup and it does the rest.

1 person likes this.
  11. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Here is the pics..first pic is the cup with the line, what i do is have her add the right supplement to the line then add ro/di water to fill the cup,then dump it into the other cup(second pic) once the drip rate is set(set once slow) thats it. i have one for alk and one for cal. doing hours apart. just remember to place them some place they wont just fall into the tank and dose all at once..HTH..

Attached Files:

12. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

I usually temperature acclimate first, then drip acclimate to the tank water, coral dip then place in the tank. Light acclimation.... well I dont really do it..... I just put them in a spot I think they are best suited and thats usually it....

I am not fussed with spending money on a proper dosing set up. Just need to determine what is best for me.

I am thinking of something like this:
    Age of Aquariums - Kamoer KSP-F03 Dosing Unit - 3 Channel or I might even go the 4-channel to eventually set up a phytoplankton culture and dose phytoplankton lol.

and dosing Red Sea Ca/Alk/Mg powder made up in RO/DI water.