Help me figurure out my issue (4/19 New Sump?)

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Kevin_E, Mar 31, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Wow. That's quite a difference.

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I'm going to see if my LFS has some on hand to either calibrate with or buy.

4. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Isn't using "ro/di" water the same as calibration fluid? That's what I have always used to calibrate my refract and it has always worked for me. Just sayin

5. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

oops...already been answered. Well I just learned something.

6. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

By the way, I think all of the issues listed above have been the cause of your growth stunt, in addition to running GFO (which I will never do again). I think your lights had very little to do with it. Just sayin. You will likely see good growth with the MH but I think it will be due to all of the changes being made as far as alk, salinity and the addition of amino acids.

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Yep, I tend to agree with you on that, believe it or not. However, I was wanting to go with halide for some time now, so my issues were a way to justify that move I guess.

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

hehe I gotcha. I'm just now recovering from my second bout with GFO. I tried a much smaller amount and once again, growth stopped and monti's bleached. I personally hate the stuff and will never use it again. I'm now dosing vinegar and that seems to be working well, as far as phosphate export goes. We'll see. The important part is the fact that you are happy. You aren't in this hobby to appease anyone else but yourself. I, personally, am in love with my LED's and couldn't imagine being stuck with MH again. The options with the controllable fixtures are just way to much fun.

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Good point. You have to do what makes you happy, otherwise you won't survive in this hobby. I'm going to post some pictures of my browned out corals in a bit.

11. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

Yes it was way off. I rinsed out my hydrometer every time I used it and made sure there was no residue or air bubbles on the needle throwing my readings off. Lesson learned I assume

12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I may be in for that same lesson depending on how the "off" the new refractometer is.