Help me figurure out my issue (4/19 New Sump?)

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Kevin_E, Mar 31, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That would be very good for the tank and its inhabitants.

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Agreed. It's crazy to me that it hasn't really dropped much after doing almost a 50% water change in a weeks time. It's also crazy that nothing has suffered with alk. and mag. being where it was.

What I read about high magnesium throwing off alk./calc tests must be true.

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Did a 3 gallon water change. I'll test alk tonight. I ruined my mag text. I accidentally put the extra calc. reagent in the mag reagent jar. Oh well.

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Refractometer and Seachem Vitamins and Amino Acids arrived today. I dosed 5 ml, as per the instructions. I will probably do 2.5 ml every week, or maybe every other week instead of ml twice a week as per the instructions. I want to err on the side of caution.

Also, my refractometer read 1.028, which is a little high. First, I placed some distilled water in first and it read "0", so I assume it's a fairly accurate reading (read two samples). I put distilled back in and it read .02, so it could have been 1.026. My hyrdometer reads 1.025 with the same sample.

This possibly means that when my salinity was at 1.027 (hydrometer), it may have really been 1.030. Also means it could have been 1.028. Either way, it was probably a little high.

Just another potential reason for growth and color issues.

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would get a calibration solution designed to measure at 1.0265sg for the best chance at the most accurate reading. Using distilled water or even rodi water can cause the reading to be off by .02 or .03.

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Bingo. Do this for calibration.

8. Click Here!

9. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

My hydrometer said I was at 1.026. After I lost 5 fish and couldn't figure out why I ordered a refractometer. My water was at 1.045 :( add that to my list of mistakes. You really should get some calibration fluid, it makes a difference

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Thanks. Where can I buy calibration fluid that doesn't cost $10 plus shipping?

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Good question.

12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

lol Answer could be: "No where"