Help me figurure out my issue (4/19 New Sump?)

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Kevin_E, Mar 31, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

That's why I am wondering if perhaps I was using too much blue light. Maybe I was offering too little usuable light.

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Well, the monti digitata came fully encrusted on that plug. Everything else has done very little encrusting in my tank in the 6-7 months I've had them.

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Well I removed GFO and extra carbon and did another 5 gallon water change.

Explain why my all went up to 4.8 from 4.1 and mag stayed at 1480 after a 25% change.

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I'm embarrassed to admit this after a previous post, but I made the decision to upgrade my lighting to the halide. It's actually a 250 watt Hamilton fixture with a 20K bulb. I couldn't be happier with my choice. I've been wanting to go halide for awhile now.

Next project is installing computer fans into my canopy.

I'm starting with a 3 hour light cycle and going up 1 hour per week until I reach a peak of 6, 7 or 8 hours per day- haven't decided.

The tank looks soooooooo much better, crisper and you can get a better sense of the true color of the corals and not the enhanced color from the blue diodes. The corals definitely have some coloring up to do under this light. The purples are finally coming through in my tank.

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

You can see just how browned out my corals were without the actinic colors on them to enhance the color. Those blues were essentially putting lipstick on a pig.

7. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

WOW nice improvement.....However, I am a big fan of halides over LED ;D

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Thanks. The coral colors should improve tremendously in the next few weeks, according to him. The LFS said I should see marked improvement and noticeable growth within the month.

A couple guys at the shop said my magnesium being as high as it was could have played an impact on my growth stunt; said it happened to him when his was up at 1800.

10. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

We just switch my wifes tank from LED to t5 too. The ATI unit looks great and after 4 days the colors are already looking better. Its a zoanthid tank though, so I don't expect results as dramatic as mine.

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I have a couple of zoa frags, so if I can FINALLY get those to grow, I'll be happy.

12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I had two new mushrooms pop up overnight. The lights were on for 4.5 hours last night. Not sure the new light was the reason, but that's the same amount of growth I've had with mushrooms in the last 10 months.

Regardless of the reason (lights or water changes), that's a good sign.

My staghorn is encrusting a little (started growing on glue and has white leading edges). I didn't see that last night, but it was likely there. Good sign again.