Help me figurure out my issue (4/19 New Sump?)

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Kevin_E, Mar 31, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I've had Mag over 1800 for extended periods of time. Soft corals don't like it very much, but chalices and some other LPS love it.

If you are not using a calibrated refractometer, salinity may very well be part of your problem.

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Could be.

I have read that high mag can lead to inaccurate test readings of alk and calc. Due too the inability of the reagents to dissolve into solution. They may have been much higher or lower than what was listed. Latest test after 6 gallon change:

Mag: 1480 (1600+ prior)

Calc: (415 same)
    All: 4.1 ( was 3.7)

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Well the halide in in stock at the LFS....

5. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Are you simply convinced you don't have PO3 in your system, or do you just not feel the need to test for it? Phosphate directly inhibits calcium growth. I just read this thread from the start, and that was the biggest thing that stuck out to me. If you dont test for something, you either know it's not there, or you may be missing the problem altogether.

Now, for the light you have, a lot of people have found that white and blue alone are not good for growth either. A nice full spectrum is required. Also, I didn't see a lot of specs on the lights (forgive me if you mentioned it) like wattage, brand, and type of leds your unit uses. Personally I think you are on the right track with the lighting, but just for the wrong reason. I think the unit you got was just not yet proven to sustain corals as others out there.

6. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Cheryl hit it on the head, you need to add Aminos and other elements to stimulate color.

Starting today I'm going to use Warner Marine 2 part. It has alk & Ca along with other needed trace elements for coral health.

Keep your lights lower (30%) and dose chemicals or do lots of water changes to replenish lost elements.

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

See above in red please

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I might begin to try this if my increased feedings don't do the trick. I just about a 50% WC in the last week (first in a long while), so hopefully that replenishes some of those valuable trace elements.

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Ordered a temperature compensated 1.000-1.070/0-10% refractometer and Seachem's Reef Plus Vitamin & Amino Acid Supplement.

11. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

The unit you bought is supposed to be adequate for corals. From the description, I presumed it was just a white and blue. I've seen so many people have great success from LEDs so far, I hope you get things on track.

12. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I think your growth is pretty good for 3 months. Most SPS will encrust on the base then grow out. The encrusting looks like it has taken off on a lot of your pieces.
    How much ALK supplement are you dosing?