Help me figure out why I cant control this green algae!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by familiar1985, Dec 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. familiar1985

familiar1985 Bristle Worm

No tap water here. I use 0 TDS water only.

I skim wet. I don't feed frozen food. I feed a pinch of formula 2 flake and seaweed to my tang every other day.

Circulation is 2 Tunze 6055, 1 Vortech mp40, 1 modded maxijet, plus return. However the tunze are never on at same time and my maxijet turns on and off every 8 seconds. Vortech is making wave. Return is eheim 1262. If everything was going at once max flo is about 8000gph. Since i have everything turning on and off except for return and wave pump (30% to 100%) Im guessing my constant flow is around 5500gph and tank is 100g

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

What's our circulation in gph? How often do you change water and how much? How often do you change your filtration material?

4. familiar1985

I just listed circulation in last post. about 5500gph constantly. I change 15% every week. I change carbon once every month and GFO when i notice phosphate go up or once evry 2 months as suggested on instructions. I have a bunch of extra powerheads i can add also

5. Guy

Guy Spaghetti Worm

To keep phosphates low to none, I'd reccomend Purigen. As for the already existing algae, Turbo Snails do a pretty good job. :)

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Carbon should be changed every two weeks or it starts to become a nitrate factory. I would change the GFO monthly or sooner until you beat this problem. Also manual removal will help. Do you have a refugium? Must of missed the flow numbers. I would also suggest blowing of the rocks before each water change to remove accumulated detritus.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Purigen isn't as effective as GFO. It does help with nitrates more.

8. Click Here!

9. familiar1985

I can change carbon every couple weeks. High capacity GFO can be changed half as often as regular GFO. Regular GFO is 1 month and high capacity is 2 months. Also i don't notice any difference when there is fresh GFO in tank or when I'm coming up on the 2 month mark. I don't think it is fully done working at the end of 2 months. When it stops working i should be able to see increased algae growth or get higher phosphate readings. I do manually remove algae about once a week. I pretty much try to get all the algae in the tank and i do blow the detritus etc... off rocks before doing water changes. I do have refugium with sand rock rubble and chaeto.

10. familiar1985

I dont have any problems with nitrate i doubt carbon is the issue. Only 1 fish in tank and i barely feed.

I really am beginning to think the source is the sand or the rocks? Can this be possible? because i dont bring in much food or phosphate in any way. It must already be inside the tank.

11. ChrisBs

ChrisBs Purple Spiny Lobster

is the tank near a window or ne thing

12. familiar1985

1 of the sides is by a window. I keep a shade on the window though to keep as much sun out as possible. It might get a hint of sun at sunrise through the sides of the shade but algae is all over the place.