Help! Leather coral white spots

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Todd129, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Todd129

Todd129 Plankton

My leather coral molted and the tentacles came back out just fine. I went on a business trip and two days later returned to find the coral covered with white spots.

Water parameters are all solid. Temp=78, SG=1.22. NH3=0, pH=8.3I had added recommended iodine just as the leather ended molting before I left for my trip, and I added another prescribed dose tonight (seachem reef iodine).

The only thing the I can think of is that I recently added two 54-watt T5s over my tank to go along with the two existing T5s, giving 4 watts/gallon. When I was on biz travel, I had set the timer for the two new lights to go on only 4 hours in mid-day to slowly increase lighting. The coral was under actinics.

What are the spots? What should I do? Thanks, Todd
  2. Click Here!

3. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Can you post any pics??????
  4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

May be sign of bleaching due to light change...

If possible move to somewhere in tank with less direct light...

Or to lower position if possible. :-/
  5. Todd129

Todd129 Plankton

I also added a "phos-zorb" back and a sechem "purigen" bag to the tank to remove any phosphate or silicate. Could use of these chemicals have caused the problem?

In the meantime, I will move thoe coral down on the sand. At the store, though, it was under metal halide lights, so I assumed that it needed stronger lighting in my tank, so I bought another two T5s. Todd
  6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

If you can take a picture for us to se and better help you out, it would be easier for us to identify!