Help !.....I've been Bit!

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by rison123, Mar 11, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rison123

rison123 Plankton

Hello, I am a veritable Nano Nubie and have a dilema. I have a Leather Toadstool coral that appears to be having some problems. It appears that it may have been stung/bit by a brain coral I had next to it. I have since moved it away. There seems to be 2 white spots on the left edge, that are somewhat frayed, with stringy material hanging from it. Is this a bite/sting or stress?? Any comments would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Ya a little warfare going on there. It looks like the toadstool isn't that bad. It open and everything so I wouldn't worry about it.

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

what kind of brain coral was it?

Im going to agree with Jason, it doesnt look too bad, just keep and eye on it :)

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

It looks like a cheesy consistency huh?
    The symptom your leather is showing, is caused by a number of vairables(poor tank conditions, heavy sedimentation, toxins and improper lighting)
    What you need to do are(actually two choices):
    1) Cut off the infected area with a razorblade, making sure to cut into the healthy are alittle bit to make sure you removed all of the dead area, prohibiting the spread of the dead tissue.
    2)Place 10 drops of Lugol's solution in one quart of water and soak the Sarcophyton(leather) in it for 5-10 minutes or so. That should help to restore and heal the infected area of the coral.
    hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!