Help is needed

Discussion in 'Algae' started by gajones06, Feb 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

and get your own test kits..ebay has them or cheap..

2. Click Here!

3. chappy85

chappy85 Coral Banded Shrimp

it was briefly mentioned before but, how old are you light bulbs?
    just changed mine and noticed a reduction in GHA (probably didnt help the original said red/white on the hidden part of it! always looked purple to me)

4. macon77

macon77 Fire Worm

Aged water...it should sit for at least 2 days prior to doing the water change. I'm not a chemist, so I don't understand the technical details. But, there is apparently something going on in newly made saltwater that is harmful. The only way I can personally verify this is noting the diatom bloom that occurs if I use water that hasn't been "aged" for a couple of days (at least two).

5. macon77

macon77 Fire Worm

I could not agree more.

And many times, test kits show zero for nitrates and phosphates, when there is an algae problem...Guess where the nitrates and phosphates are going? Yep, the algae is consuming them. But, the proof is in the pudding (algae).

6. Steve Goldsmith

Steve Goldsmith Fire Shrimp

How old is the tank?

right now, I would keep dosing the ChemiClean. make sure that you have flow on the red slime, too. small water changes should be done frequently as to not stress the inhabitants as much.

I had a bit of it in my 55, but I put flow on it, dosed ChemiClean, and my serpent starfish helped a bit too(he's a tad derranged, buries himself).

also, as for the other algae, a ReefCleaners custom clean up crew would keep your tank stable. ChemiPure is an excellent phosphate remover and I would recommend it.

do you still have the bioballs in the back of your biocube? if you do, I would take them out as they will eventually create nitrates. if you can, I would put chaeto or some other macro algae in that compartment. along with a small but powerful light. this will also keep your phosphates down, along with ammonia and nitrates too. it would also be a great spot for pods to reproduce. just my 2 cents. hope this helps and good luck!

7. gajones06

gajones06 Astrea Snail

the lights are a month old..I replace they about every 6 months give or take a few weeks..

The only problem with turning the 2nd chamber into a refuge is I have no way of mounting a light. The back of my tank is 4 inches off a wall.

8. Click Here!

9. Steve Goldsmith

Steve Goldsmith Fire Shrimp

what about this? JBJ Nano-Glo its a bit of an investment, and meant for JBJ Nanocubes, but by looking at the dimensions, it should fit in a 14g biocube. and it'll help in the long run. :)

10. Sadie

Sadie Coral Banded Shrimp

when you get your own test kits, make sure they are not the dip strip kind. there is a huge difference.

And get 1-2 big Mexican turbo snails. They mow GHA down like crazy. I am just getting a huge outbreak undercontrol as we speak. Here is a pic of what 1 Mexican turbo did in 2 days. (I have a 12 gal NanoCube)

The back wall was completely covered. He even fit up by my wavemaker where it was the longest.

[​IMG]

It is very frustrating, but don't give up!!

11. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

im sorry, but i have to disagree with this, atleast for me its worked (i used it once). IMO as long as you do everything you can to get rid of the algae (everything mojoe listed) some chemicals wont hurt, it just gets rid of the algae so its not such a pain to look at. it even tells you high phosphates and over feeding can cause cyano.

12. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

ok, please stop bagging on the Ceminclean/ Red Slime remover. if you used them right, you wouldnt have problems. they only remove the algae, not the phosphates themselves. that latter part is up to you