Help injured anemone

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by CzyPvt, Aug 15, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CzyPvt

CzyPvt Astrea Snail

You have got to be kidding me. *sigh*. If I lose this anemone, I'll try again. This is the first thing I have purchased that has died on me, outside of the suicidal diamond watchman gobies.

2. Click Here!

3. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

My first tank, I had tons of deaths. I had several diamond gobies jump one even went through the eggcrate i had as a cover and laid there against the lights and baked. :( Also had a serpent star eat everything in my tank except 2 clowns he didn't get a chance to eat.

Is your fixture new? Maybe able to return for a different light? LEDs are the way of the future it seems and are costly up front but a lot cheaper in the long run. T5HO are fluorescent lights but are only about 1/2 inch in diameter and pack enough strength for anything to grow so long as you have good coverage, but the bulbs have to be replaced pretty often.

There are a lot people on here with a great deal of experience and a wealth of knowledge, all you have to do is ask and you will get very good advice. The only dumb question is an unasked question.

Welcome to 3Reef!

4. CzyPvt

CzyPvt Astrea Snail

I purchased the light fixture last week. That is what they told me. They said that it was what they were using on some of their tanks. I'm starting to dabble in coral, hence why I purchased a "better" light fixture.

5. Brennen

Brennen Plankton

My cousin had a light similar to that and he was never able to keep anemones or torch corals. He lost about 10 different anemones before he finally believed me and bought some t5 lighting. Honestly I would just put the anemone back in the tank. The more you mess with it and put it in new contraptions in attempt to save it you are going to stress it more and kill it for sure. You are probably going to loose this anemone if you can I would return it. Otherwise you need to just put it in the tank and leave it be. Look for it to shed tentacles and that's when you need to remove it. If you get a new anemone trust me when I say this, put it in the tank and don't touch it unless its going in a power head. This is key to acclimating an anemone. If you keep moving it and feeding it it will die. Give it at least 4 days before you feed it, and give it very small portions. If you are feeding silversides that is good, just make sure you gut out the back bone and chop it into very small bits soaked in selcon if you can and only feed very small portions. If you see the anemone shrivel up and regurgitate the food that means you are feeding to big of chunks or to much food. I know its hard to watch a nem struggle but you really need to just leave them be or you will just end up making things worse.

6. CzyPvt

CzyPvt Astrea Snail

I think the anemone is pretty much dead. I think that the LFS dealer cut the anemone when he shook it off of the rock it was resting on. I didn't think much of it because it came off with ease. Seems strange that it would because I had a major time getting my other anemone off of glass when I was transferring it from my 20G to my 75G

7. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

The nems will definitely need more light than that one. What other coral are you interested in? Check your local craigslist for lighting options too. You will want to find specs for any LED unit you buy looking for a higher wattage per diode and anything that has bulbs you can count on having to replace, so make sure you work that into the price if you go used.

8. Click Here!

9. CzyPvt

CzyPvt Astrea Snail

Good advice for the future. There is another BTA in the tank and I have never had to do much with it. I think that it is the new lighting. I have my other anemone bleaching on me.

10. CzyPvt

CzyPvt Astrea Snail

Man, This is my first time on a forum and the advice is amazing. Where have you all been all of my saltwater life? lol Serious, I am truly appreciative of the tidbits that I'm getting. I really didn't know any of this.

As far as coral I was going to start off with polyps and mushrooms. I have one that starts with a "d" and looks like an anemone on a stick. Is that a coral of something else, because I have been feeding it shrimp pellets ever since I saw it curl up over a blood worm that floated onto it's "tentacles"

11. Brennen

Brennen Plankton

A torn foot can surely be a death sentence for a BTA I have seen it happen. It is better to buy the rock it is on than have them struggle to get the anemone off and wind up tearing the foot. I purchased a anemone once that was very big and looked nice but the guy handling it could not get it off the rock and ended up killing the anemone I regretted not paying the extra for the rock it was haply attached to. If you have a anemone bleaching in your tank feeding it can help bring back its zoo. In this hobby you learn the most from your mistakes I cant tell you how many things I have done wrong and wound up learning from it. If you are in the hobby long enough you will probably keep moving on to the next most difficult thing to keep, and look back at when you started and just wanted a BTA. These things are really easy to keep it just sounds like whoever sold you on those lights and bta didnt really have the knowledge to give. Im sorry to hear about your loss hopefully whoever sold you the lights and nem will allow you to return them and get the right equipment to grow a nice big bubble.

Billme and mdbostwick like this.
  12. Brennen

Brennen Plankton

One piece of advice, dont buy any damsels or hawkfish. You will wind up tearing down your tank just to remove them. They are pretty but become nasty down the road.

mdbostwick likes this.