help identify algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by czartangus, Feb 11, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

Cyanobacteria reproduces asexually by cell division, the addition of nitrogen gas, phosphates,nitrates, and lighting will feed the bacteria. They are caused by an accumulation of nutrients and biological imbalance from the result of poor filtration, over feeding, or high bio load. Cyanobacteria have even been known to enter the aquarium as spores. Bulbs with the correct spectrum promote growth of beneficial algae that will inhibit slime algae. (Remember that bulbs can lose their spectrum in as little as six months.) The second is to make sure there is adequate filtration. A protein skimmer is highly recommended along with enough water flow to prevent stagnant areas. The third is to keep the water quality exceptional. Finally, unfiltered tap water is highly discouraged.

I went threw my log book last night. I did a lot of research when I had this problem.

2. Click Here!

3. czartangus

czartangus Plankton

I would have to assume that my issue resulted from my bulbs. I recently changed the lightning system that was about 1 year old from 4 VHO to 2 Iwasaki 6,500K metal halide & 2 VHO super actinic. I use a RO/DI for all water. I have a Euro-Reef protein skimmer. I use a chiller to maintain a consistent temperature, and I just setup my first refugium.

4. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

5. czartangus

czartangus Plankton

you mean I should have purschased something like the 10,000K XM
    Metal Halide Bulbs instead of the Iwasaki 6,500K?

6. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

what do you have in your tank, any corals? 10k bulbs are ideal

7. reptoreef

reptoreef Plankton

I like the XM's and run them, but I don't believe that to be your problem... after all, thos Iwasakis are terrific bulbs, too. IMO, get your water in check, remove what cyano you can, and up you patience.

8. Click Here!

9. czartangus

czartangus Plankton

I don’t have any corals in the system yet, but that is my overall goal. I started this reef about two years ago. I’m doing baby steps & learning as I go. I did not want to start off using any corals because I was afraid I would just kill them off.

10. reptoreef

reptoreef Plankton

No corals??? No need to run those bulbs(halides) at all unless you're possibly trying to house clams.

11. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Gawlowski, the turkey baster is a good idea. I have red slime algae and it works on it, too. Squirt, then suck it up or scoop with a net.