help identify algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by czartangus, Feb 11, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. czartangus

czartangus Plankton

Its turned to a bright green color.

2. Click Here!

3. czartangus

czartangus Plankton

you'r right about the purple! I had to press on the sample to seperate the water and in the water is like tiny purple flakes. It was a little difficult getting a good sample without a lot of LS. I had to use a spatula to get just the top level of LS. Man, if my wife saw what I was doing with her spatula she would have gone nuts. So what do I have growing in my tank?

4. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

Ok, it's bacteria, I had this for months. Take as much as you can out, don't mix it up with your sand. It will grow back and it will take a very long time to get rid of it but don't worry. When it grows back, let it grow a little thick. Scoop it up, I used a spoon and scooped it into a net. If you don't have a reef tank, cut back on your day lights, it will slow down the growth until good algae grows and takes over. This will help keep it under control. Don't over feed, as it also feeds off food. If it spreed on your rocks, just brush them. Make sure there is adequate filtration. If you have a reef tank make sure that it doesn't go on any coral, if it does just brush it off. This slime will suffocate it and kill it. Invertebrates won't go near this stuff.

5. czartangus

czartangus Plankton

what caused this to grow? Do you know the name of the bacteria?

6. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

It's in the cyanobacteria family. I think it's just one of those bad bacteria that just grows.

1 person likes this.
  7. czartangus

czartangus Plankton

thanks so much for your help. Gonna start scooping the crap out now.

8. Click Here!

9. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

If you need any more help just let me know.

10. reptoreef

reptoreef Plankton

Main foods are phosphates and bad lighting... you state that your lighting has been changed so I advise feeding less while cutting the light cycle down an hour or 2 each day(in accordance with the removal methods listed by RL). Even if your phosphates test 0 you may have them... they tend to bond to the calcium ion and if not precipitated(chemical reaction between calcium and alkalinity),they will grow on the aragonite/crushed coral sand bed, live rock, and exposed coral skeletons.

11. czartangus

czartangus Plankton

I really don't know what I would do without this community. The ppls in the pet store are a joke.
    thanks everybody!

12. gawlowski

gawlowski Astrea Snail

I had this problem too. I was told that phosphates and nitrates were the culprits in making this stuff grow. I use a turkey baster or a seasquirt to dislodge it and scoop it with a net. I cut down on my feedings and try to net out any uneaten food. you can reduce the amount of light in your tank and do water changes with ro/di water(no phosphates or nitrates).

1 person likes this.