Help ID this fish

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by schackmel, Jul 31, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

You may have a female! The males have mandarin type markings on their faces and the females don't. Only in the animal kingdom are males prettier than females!

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

Finger Dragonet - Dactylopus dactylopus

This is it!
    Great.....the owner knows my tank...knew I just transferred over to a new system. I have a ton of pods right now, and have a refuge, but arghhhh! The store has not been on the top of my list lately.

I figured it was going to be a difficult feeder, and this morning I started up my artemia hatchery. Also have a sample of arctic copepods that came with the hatchery, so will try that also. I reg add artic pods to my tank. He also ate a little of the food yesterday

4. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

That fish will not surrvive in your tank more than likely, how old is this tank and you have a fuge, and how much LR.

5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

Its a 130 gallon and I have about 150-180lbs of live rock. I have a refuge that has cheato and miracle mud in it...I have actually had to harvest some of it out already as it is growing so much. The tank itself is only about 1 1/2 months old, but it was a transfer from a 75 and 55 gallon tank that was established for a year. All rock that I added came directly from those tanks. I also do not have any other type of dragnets or many fish in there right now. The only fish I transferred from my old tanks were a Blue hippo, a bicolor goat, dottyback, firefish, bicolor blenny, a lawnmower and a citron goby.
    I am also placing cheato in the main display and I did add a couple of bottles of pods int the beginning when I set up the tank to help boost the population. I will buy another bottle and add in there

The LFS people are here again to work on my tank and I asked them what type of fish it is and again they said mother blenny. But it is definately a dragnet by looking at pictures and can not find one thing on mother blenny​

6. ssgheislerswife

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I just got it last night and it pecked around at the food a little. He is really pecking at the algea on the glass, so that is good. Will add Pod tonight.

8. Click Here!

9. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

Ok I am changing what he is....Bandtail sea robin.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm169/schackmel/102_1239.jpg

He uses his pectoral fins to walk on the floor and he does not have a red mouth like the finger dragonette.

Deep Sea Images Library - Bandtail Sea Robin - Prionotus ophyras - Natural History Images
    this is my fish to the tee.

Doesnt make it any easier to keep in tank though :cry: but I put artic pods in the tank and he did go after those! Except I read that these can be semi-aggressive vs peaceful.

10. ssgheislerswife

That fish seems more agressive but less likely to starve! I would probably make my LFS give me a refund...however, you're probably like me and attached already!

It will also get quite large too right?

11. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

nope i totally disagree, yorus is def a dragonet. Look at the difference in the mouth. That sea robin has a big mouth where as your fish as a tiny one. Classic of the dragonet.

1 person likes this.
  12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

thats true....he does have a very tiny mouth. Ok I am switching back to finger dragonet!!;D
    I guess in long run doesnt make difference what he is now, other then both of them are very hard feeders. Tonight when I fed him, he ate a few little bits, but was more interested eating the algea off my back of the tank!