help ID sps please

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Dingo, Aug 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mainstream Aqua

Mainstream Aqua 3reef Sponsor

look like a tenuis to me, aka aussie bottlebrush.]

are you running a low nutrient system?

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

sorry i missed this... but I am pretty certain it is a tenuis but not so sure its from Aussie (awesome if it is tho)
    Its origin is from Divers Den, more specifically, the maricultured section. It was bought as a colony by a fish store called Mr. Coral, and then fragged by the owner for sale. Almost everything in his store $10 a frag.

about the low nutrient question: No and yes...
    I have stored it in my dads tank over the summer and he has a normal to high nutrient system. in his tank it had nice colors but had a good bit of brown still. I moved a few of my corals to my new tank (which is about 3 months now) and 90% of my acros went to the pale colors of an ULNS. Even though I hooked it up to my existing fuge that has been maturing for over a year, this was kind of expected because the tank itself was not an aged system and all the planktonic and bacterial levels are not fully established yet.
    So, I usually shoot for a medium to low nutrient system with a really high ORP so i can do multiple frequent feedings to supply plenty of poop for coral food... but not a system that is as low as it is now. I suspect the color will stay dark blue on the tips and a light blue for the tissue. Polyp extension is really really far and under my blue LEDs they actually host a slightly green colored zoox. IMO, a very nice score for $10 :)

4. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

lol, no real secret, one of the guys in my local reef club buys a bunch of fresh sea food, fish eggs, oysters, cyclopeze, etc.. and blends it all together and freezes it..... that stuff is awesome!

Dingo, that frag is looking awesome too, great looking color.
    mine are still alive but but not looking anyting like yours.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

thank you! im sure they will get better once you upgrade to the 180 ;)

6. nightster

nightster Pajama Cardinal

Sounds like it!

7. Mainstream Aqua

Mainstream Aqua 3reef Sponsor

Hello Dingo. Yeah, its not from aussie although they do get a lot of "bottlebrushes" in. I forget the species that usually comes in from aussie but the indo cultured acros are the way to go IMO.

The PE on that guy and the colors indicate to me that it is in a system with a great flow and a lot of food to eat off of the water column. Looks great!

Are you exporting nutrients too via skimmer?

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

yes of course i am! not over skimming though, if anything my skimmer is on the lower side. its an octo 110 from my old tank, wet skimming, on approx 125g total system now