help id my coral

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by szogun, Feb 23, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. szogun

szogun Feather Duster

I just got my first corals and I have couple questions probably for an experienced reefer:) look at the pic what kind of coral is this and what are its requirements does it need a high water flow and what about the light I also have a yellow sabe anemone and is not settling anywhere and is it supostu be in some king of water flow? if yes how if it flays out when I point the power-head at it

Attached Files:

• 01l.jpg
      01l.jpg
      File size:
      150.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

[quote author=szogun link=board=Coral;num=1077585812;start=0#0 date=02/23/04 at 17:23:32]I just got my first corals and I have couple questions probably for an experienced reefer:) look at the pic what kind of coral is this and what are its requirements does it need a high water flow and what about the light I also have a yellow sabe anemone and is not settling anywhere and is it supostu be in some king of water flow? if yes how if it flays out when I point the power-head at it [/quote]

It is a more accepted practice to perform the research before you by the coral. If you lighting, flow, or compatibility are all wrong for this animal what are you going to do.
    It is less stressful to the coral and to yourself to ask your LFS to hold the coral then research it and come back to buy it if you can support it's requirement.

4. Jason McKenzie

And this is what is called
    Yellow Finger Gorgonian (Diodogorgia nodulifera)

Check out this Link For it's requirements.

Don't mean to Yell at you. You have picked a very difficult coral as your first. I would try some mushrooms or Zooanthids, the success rate of those corals is much higher the a Gorgonian

Jason

5. CG

CG Bristle Worm

Hey Jason do you know anything about the blue see fan and it's success? I know it's diffcult to keep and know its requirements, just curious. Thanks

6. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

We also talked about this one, Medium flow, mid tank and the phyto/ zooplankton should work fine. As for the Seabae I told you it would roll around until it found its happy place and that to watch that it doesn't setup camp too close to the other new inhabitants so to harass them. How is everything settling in? There are somethings fish wise you didn't tell me about but should still be ok. Also remember that you are done for now with adding anything for a while so everything can settle in and the tank can catch up.

7. Jason McKenzie

Acalycigorgia sp or blue sea fan is also considered an Expert only coral. But like all Gorgonian the main reason they are considered Expert is because they are non-photosynthetic. Great advances in food that SPS, LPS and Gorgonian will eat has IMO changed the level of difficulty to that of a Arco.
    Food I would suggest would be Phytoplankton (DT's or Liquid Life) Cyclop-eeze, or Golden pearl, and of course vitamin enriched Brine. One could also culture Rotifers for a live food source.

Hope this helps
    Jason

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

By the way that is an awesome Gorgonian. You can train it to polyp just before lights out by target feeding it any of the above foods. It will then start to polyp on its own everyday around the time you trained it. I have trained my slowly to open a little earlier each week unit finally it would open during regular fish feeding. It will then close again before lights out and open around 3:00am for another feeding.
    unfortunatly mine is now not doing very well. It has started to shed branches. It will be back on a regular training schedule again soon.

J

10. szogun

szogun Feather Duster

Ok but it didnt open yet when should I feed it?
    and you mean I should use turky blaster ?

11. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Yes you could use a turkey baster and remember it is new to the tank so may need time to settle in

12. szogun

szogun Feather Duster

should i start feeding it when it opens
    and dont feed it at all now and wait?
    I mean I'm adding phtoplancton and zooplancton once a week
    what do you think?