** help Ich and algae

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by sms2981, Apr 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sms2981

sms2981 Plankton

Well, I have had my tank about 9 months (90 gallon),my g/f recently added a new fish (Pakistan butterfly fish[​IMG] and all of a sudden ICH. I bought ick-attack. removed the filter's, raised the temp to about 82-84. and the ich has spread to [​IMG]. Now I have had a sudden red-algae bloom on only a little bit of my live rock. I didn't realize that I should turn the lights off. Now I don't really know what to do about the algae or the ich that I've been treating for about a week now and doesn't seem to be going away. Am I being impatient or am I missing something?

Thanks in Advance

2. Click Here!

3. nemo1991

nemo1991 Millepora

well if you have ick, since i have a reef, i just have my cleaner shrimp do all the work, i added in a blue tang who had a small case, and in 2 days it was gone

4. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

^agree. Get a skunk cleaner shrimp, and start using Kent Garlic Xtreme on seaweed strips to feed your tang. Garlic in the food will help boost your fish's immune system. Ich treatments that do not contian copper do not work very well, and are a waste of $ IMO. Only use Mardel CopperSafe or other copper medications if your tank is will always be a fish only tank.
    ***Copper wll KILL - shrimp, hermit crabs (all/most inverts) and coral.***

Don't worry too much about ich on the fish as long as they are swimming and eating normally and are otherwise healthy.